Yes .69

Jonathan

Sochi has been such a blast so far I almost forgot that this was technically work. Granted practice was just a few hours of the day leaving me with the rest of it to make some memories. Most of the guys go support the other team Canada athletes but I had something a little bigger in mind.

Proposing in Russia wasn't really what I originally had planned. I was going to do something nice back home in Chicago but then I realized that was pretty predictable. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and the whole family is here. These adventures are a big part of who we are as a couple so it makes sense to propose here on the biggest stage. Though I was hoping to do it before the real games started.

But better late than ever I guess.

My new plan was a little harder to get into motion. Getting around here was a more difficult because a lot of people speak either Russian or with thick accents that make the English hard to understand. But I had a idea for what to do. A way to give her a sense of familiarity but it still be a adventure.

So I had the kids and my parents entertain her for the morning while I set something up. Olympic village wasn't really anything crazy. It is a bunch of hotels and the arenas all in one general area we weren't really supposed to go outside of. But I was able to sneak out to set up a surprise for her.

I find a clear area of grass and get to working. I spread flowers around this little spot and light some candles. The space in the middle was for us to be in and to be surrounded by something so beautiful. It's cold as hell out here but god I know it'll be worth it. Once the scene was set and the music was going all I could do is wait. And that's the worst part. So I pace back and fourth trying not to psych myself out. I don't think she would say no but I'm not her. I don't know what she wants behind what she tells me. And she doesn't talk about herself a lot.

My feet come to a stop as I look up. There was a peak in the clouds that allowed the sun to shine on this exact spot, nowhere else. I get a chill down my spine as a single breeze blows pass almost making the candles go out. A smile comes on my face as I continue to look at the sky.

"Papa George, if that's you watching over me making sure I'm doing right by your granddaughter, I want you to know that I'm doing my best. Every thing I do I do it with the intentions of making her happy. Been looking at nice homes in Chicago for us to grow our family. Trying to cook dinner on the nights that I can so she doesn't feel so pressured to do it all. Because of Emmy, and because of you, I know I am a better person. And as of today I hope I will be spending the rest of my life proving that I am someone worthy of her love. Of her wisdom. Of whatever this life has in store for us. I wish like hell you were still here, to see what we have been able to do because of you. And with your wife's stones and your blessing I hope to make you proud" I sigh.

The clouds covers the sun back up and it felt like George had moved on. I meant every word I spoke into existence, and I hope it all goes to plan.

I get the text that they were on their way giving me the most aggressive butterflies. Emilia thought I had been in the village all day doing promo but that ended days earlier. I just wanted this to be perfect.

Eventually their car pulls up and I smile. Ken and Jas hop out before Emmy crawls out the back with a blind fold on. My parents guide her over to me because the kids kept letting her run into things. Finally she makes it a few feet in front of me and it feels like time stops. The world stops spinning for a second so I can have enough time to take it all in.

Finally I fall to a knee and grab the ring box. I open it up and see the one of a kind engagement ring that I hope she will love. I nod my head so my parents knew to take off the blindfold.

Once she was freed she wipes at her eyes and I have to laugh. She's so over dramatic sometimes. They didn't put it on until she was already in the car and it was a short drive over here. She was just doing the most.

After a few seconds her eyes land on me before almost popping out of her head. She wasn't one for the big theatrics and I know she didn't want this moment to be for show. It was just us and our families because that's what truly matters.

Her hands cover her mouth but a gasp still escapes. I smile to myself as the tears come up in her eyes.

"Emilia, from the first day we met I knew you were one of a kind. There isn't anyone out there quite like you and I feel like the luckiest man alive to be able to learn from you every day. Your heart, it's the biggest one out there and to be able to receive your love has been some of the greatest times I've ever known. And to have a lifetime full of opportunities to grow with you, to love you, it's something that I think about every day. One day coming to your school and hearing the kids call you Mrs. Toews and seeing all that you've done being so proud of my wife.

So Emmy, on this great adventure I want to ask you to accompany on so many more adventures out into life. To explore this world with me only to realize that the greatest gift the world could offer is you" I say.

Her head nods up and down as she starts to sniffle. "Yes" she manages to get out barley above a whisper.

She sticks her left hand out and I slide the ring onto its correct finger. She looks at it for maybe a second before falling to her knees and wrapping her arms around my neck. Usually people go for a kiss after a proposal but something about a hug makes it that much better. My arms pull her in tight as she falls into me.

"I love you so much" she whispers in my ear.

"I love you most" I promise.