Representation. 27

Jonathan

With it being the finals I found it important to have my family at the games. I know we're trying to keep everything on the DL but I play better with them around. And I like looking out into the crowd and seeing them there cheering me on. Win or lose I know they will be happy to see me.

So I convince Emmy to bring them out again. She wanted to come and support me, that was never the problem, she just worried. A lot is on the line here and we don't want to risk the kids' saftey. If and when people figure it out it puts a spotlight on them. People are going to start digging and bringing up the past. Their families will appear out of the wood work all of the sudden start caring for them. I don't want their lives to be the next feel-good NHL story. Their lives aren't just some fad. And they don't want pity. We just want to be in each other lives without it being because of money or attention.

So I keep them in their own box with my parents away from everyone. I know they're safe and happy and I can see them after the game.

We end up winning to start off the series and we were feeling good. I quickly pack up my stuff to meet them before they left the building. I find them in the box talking to my parents and smile. Man I wish George was here but he's getting weaker. I don't think we can get away with stealing him again. But I know he's at home watching and he sent me a text telling me good job like he does every game.

"There he is" my dad cheers and I smile.
I give everyone a hug before pulling Emmy into a kiss.

"Jonny look" Jasmine says as she holds up the puck I flipped her. I smile big because I do that every game they come to and she has a collection of pucks in her room. She loves adding to it and I hope we can add a lot more.

We hang out for a little not wanting to depart quite yet. I notice Kenny was being quiet and that wasn't like him. So I bend down and try and figure out what I missed.

"Hey Buddy, what's going on" I wonder.

"I wish I could play hockey" Kenneth sighs as his eyes fall to the ground. I feel his whole demeanor change as he starts to shut down.

"What do you mean" I ask as I place a hand on his shoulder.

"I don't see anyone who plays who looks like me. When I watch TV they show you and Kane and Seabrook. I don't see anyone who looks like me" Ken somberly explains.

I feel the smile fall from my face as I start to think. Everyone belongs in hockey. No matter what you look like you should be able to play. I hate that there isn't a lot of guys that look like Ken who get the screen time other guys get. It's not like they're not there there just isn't a whole bunch of representation. They aren't less important than the other people on their team but whoever they market is who goes on screen. But I really wanted him to know that he can play hockey and there are guys who look like him.

So I tell him to sit tight before going over to Emmy. I pull her away as I grab her shoulders and look into her eyes.

"Do you trust me" I question.

"Jonny of course I trust you" she assures me.

"I want to bring you and the kids down to meet some special people. I think it's exactly what Ken needs" I explain.

She hesitates for a moment because she knows that there was no going back once word gets out. It's the start of our lives changing but they already were. Might as well send the ball in motion.

"I trust you" she promises.

So I bring all of them down to the under belly of the UC and tell them to wait in the hallway. I head into the locker room hoping others weren't as fast to leave as I was. After looking around for a while I find the two guys I'm looking for and asked for a favor. Once I explain what happened and they stop yelling at me for keeping this from them they agree to meet everyone. So I bring them out to help Ken see that he won't ever be alone.

"Boys I want you to meet my beautiful girlfriend Emilia and my favorite little man Kenneth and the amazing Jasmine. Guys this is Johnny Oduya and the legend himself Ray Emery" I introduce.

"What's up little man" Ray asks as he holds his hand out for a high five. Ken jumps up and gives him a good smack as I laugh.

"You play hockey" he asks.

"Yeah. And you can too. Nothing says you can't" Ray assures him.

"I want to be great like Jonny" he says making him smile. I'm glad he thinks I'm great. Then it must be true.

"You will be" Oduya says. "He wasn't always like this. None of us were. We were all once a little boy with dreams like you. And you don't have to follow in our footsteps. You make your own path that people will walk with you. You'll never be alone."

I let them talk for a while and take pictures. Ken takes some shots on Ray in the hallway making my heart smile. We've played floor hockey many times in the apartment but he got to play with a real goalie which was cool. Johnny and I make some passes as he gets work in. Jasmine wasn't really into hockey. She liked watching but she wasn't the athletic type like Em. So they cheer us on and we play a little game of two on two.

Eventually they had to go back to their own families so I let them go. I say goodbye to my parents before getting the kids home. It was real late and Jas likes to read to Kenny before bed. So we send them off as I clean up my hockey crap.

"That was real nice what you did for Ken" Emilia tells me.

"I guess I never thought of the fact that the representation of any minority in hockey is so low. It's not that I don't care because I do, just never had a reason to stop and think about it. And what few guys their are aren't always in the limelight. We have PK up in Montreal doing his thing but outside of Canada many haven't heard of him. We had Byfuglien but he hasn't been in Chicago since 2010. For a city so predominantly made up of minorities we don't have a lot of representation. I never really thought of it" I admit.

"We hardly ever do. But all it takes is for one person to make the change. You have to ask yourself, are you going to be that change" she asks.

"I sure hope so" I admit.