Lucky .57

Emilia

Now that hockey was in full swing Kens team starts to do scrimmages and practices that are a little more intense. Ken was starting to create a game for himself and learn the way he wanted. Jon and Patrick do their best to work with him when they can and he has improved a lot. It's not every day you have two guys who will be in the hall of fame one day take the time to work with you. Because of it Ken is advancing quickly and decided he wanted to play Center so he can do face offs. They gave him a line and they've been practicing on plays. I haven't missed a practice and I'm pretty sure he's been doing great, but I'm no Jonathan Toews so I wasn't really sure.

Practice comes to a end and naturally instead of changing Ken is sitting there talking. He was quite the teammate, wanted to be friends with everyone, new how to make his presence welcomed. Once I convince him to change he picks up his bag and it was time for dinner.

As we walk out of the building I notice one of Ken's teammates sitting on the bench by himself. Judging from the blonde curly hair and bright blue eyes that was one of his line mates. I thought we were the last ones out of the building but I guess he was still waiting for his parents. I didn't feel right leaving him so I send Ken over to sit with him until his parents got here while I find the sign up sheet for the next game. I offered to carpool so I figured I might as well set up rides for the kids who need them while I was still at the ice rink.

Minutes turned in half a hour and half a hour turned into three. It was getting late and this kids parents still hadn't come. We've called all the contacts we had to no avail. I can tell by the look in this kids eyes that he was scared, he felt abandoned and forgotten. It was the same look Ken had when I found him.

I walk over and take a knee in front of the kid. Ken was getting worried too and it takes a lot to shake him.

"Hey Carl, why don't we go grab a bite to eat? I'm sure you're starving" I start.

"I don't want to leave and my parents come for me and I'm not here" he claims.

"Well the people at the front desk have my number so when they show up they can give me a call and I'll bring you back. But it's almost 10 and you haven't eaten. I know a good burger joint not too far from here calling our names" I suggest. 

A smile comes up on his face as he nods. "Okay. Can I get fries too" he asks.

"Of course sweetie" I promise.

So we toss their things in the back and I get them buckled. We get to the little burger joint not far from the rink. Carl orders a bacon cheeseburger and Ken goes with just a plain one. I try and make Carl feel comfortable but something was off. He felt it.

By midnight I knew they weren't coming and Carl knew it too. So I offered him Jasmines old room and I find myself thankful she left a lot of her things behind so if other people stayed they could feel welcomed too. Ken gives him some of his clothes and I make his bed. We get him a tooth brush and a stuffed animal so he feels more comfortable.

I sit by the side of his bed as tears fall down his face. His arms wrapped around Kens favorite stuffed animal trying to bring him comfort. I felt awful for what he had to go through and I don't have any answers for him. I softly rub his arms so he knew I was here.

"You know, my parents left me when I was five. Just about your age. I never understood why they left, what I did to make them leave me. I had just come to know about life, how did I get it so wrong? What did I do to cause them to give up?

But in situations like yours and mine, it isn't our fault. It feels like it is but it's not. Sometimes when people get older they realize that they're not the people they thought they were. Being a parent is hard. Feels impossible at times. But being a parent is a honor, a privilege. Not everyone can carry that weight that comes with raising someone else. Then there's people like Jon and I who jump at the chance to have someone like you in our lives.

You've done nothing wrong. You are a wonderful child, talented unlike anything you can believe and just a ray of sunshine. I know that no matter what happens here, we're going to make sure you have a place where you're loved. You're going to be more than fine" I assure him.

I wipe away a tear as a small smile comes on his face. Because in a way I was lucky, I didn't know my parents left until one day I just stopped waiting for them to get back. They left me with the two people I truly believed I was meant for and for that I'm lucky. I'm hoping that this kid gets lucky too.

He passes out on the bed and I rub his arm a little while longer before pulling off. Jon gets in about 4 am from Edmonton and he was exhausted. He knew what was going on because I couldn't ever keep anything from him. The man was my muse and every time something small happens to me I find him and he always knows just what to do. But now he's a little perplexed.

"Have you heard anything from the night janitor at the rink about his parents coming back for him" he wonders.

"No. I call every thirty minutes, he's probably tired of me" I sigh.

"So what's our move" he wonders.

"I'll call DCS tomorrow and see if there's a foster family that can hold him. I'm not sure we're ready to keep him right now with the holidays and the olympics coming up. But maybe when we get back we can apply to be a foster family so kids like him have a home, if you would like" I say.

"I think that's a wonderful idea" he smiles as he grabs my hand. "I really love the woman that you are."

"Thanks. It's not easy. I was sitting there watching him sleep and I felt so helpless. I knew exactly how he felt and I don't know if it is going to get any better for him. I can't promise him that. All he wants to hear is that his parents didn't leave him but I have this feeling in my gut it isn't true. This is like Kenny all over again" I sigh.

"And there's nothing you can do to bring his parents back. But you can make sure that he has a good home to go to and remind him that none of this has anything to do with him even though he is the one who has to suffer" Jon explains.

"And I hate that he does" I sniffle.

"Everything will be fine, thanks to you" he tries.

"How do you know that" I ask as a tear drops to my cheek. He quickly catches it as I lean into his hand.

"Because I know you, Emilia. And I know how lucky he was to have you on his side" he claims.