Lost. 2

Emilia

I was taught from a young age that when someone needs help, you help them. Even if you yourself need help too, that doesn't mean you can't help others along the way. Sometimes the solution to our issues are within the grasp of helping others. And I think that's what makes offering a hand to others easier, knowing what it's like to need something someone else has, and what it feels like to finally get that help. To be that something someone needs is special, we can't take for granted the aid we can provide for others. Even if we don't get much in return, it's still important to give as much as we can.

So maybe taking Kenneth in wasn't my best idea. Maybe he's better off in a foster home with people who know what it's like to raise a kid. But from what I know about the foster system in Chicago is that it's either top of the barrel or the bottom. And I wasn't ready to throw him to the wolves just yet. I went to the police and they have him in my custody for the foreseeable future with none of his relatives offering to help. Now I don't know much about being a mom but being a teacher helps me out a lot. I have kid sized things laying around and I know all about development and education. Now we just gotta figure the rest out.

I know it'll get me some looks. A very dark skinned boy following around a pale strawberry blonde girl with freckles and hazel eyes. You don't see that every day. But maybe that's what we need some more of in this world. Unconditional love that isn't defined by blood or color. Just the want for a better world.

So I bring Kenneth with me to the museum like I promised and I share all my knowledge I had about the history of this world and what it took for our paths to cross. He was a very impressionable little kid, liked to ask questions and seemed to retain quite a bit of it. It was kind of nice to have someone around since I've been on my own for a while.

I read the plaque about dinosaurs and their supposed downfall before looking up to see Kenneth wasn't by my side anymore. My eyes search whatever I could see and I quickly realize that he had wondered off. I've been a mother for mere days and already messed up big time. I frantically look around not wanting to call out his name and make a scene. There wasn't tons of people here but enough to make it hard for me to find him. I was a second away from finding a security guard and asking for help but I finally spot him. He was sitting on a bench talking with a handsome young man around my age. This guy had a strong build and soft brown hair that was kind of long. It wasn't curly but it wasn't straight either. His big brown eyes looking over at Kenneth as he smiles big. The man seemed friendly but I know this world can be a unfriendly place.

So I make my way over and Kenny smiles big when he sees me. He jumps up out of his seat and skips over to me before his arms latch around my legs. I hold him close so that he couldn't get away again.

"Kenny baby you can't walk off without telling me where you're going. I thought I lost you" I whisper. I cup his face in my hand as he gives me that "I'm sorry" look.

"I'm okay. Jonny found me and told me he would sit with me until we were together again. I told him you would come looking for me" he insists.

I turn to the man who stands up off the bench they were both just occupying. His tall frame throws his shadow over me as I look up at him. But his shadow didn't intimidate me and I didn't feel cold, instead his presence was warm and welcoming. His face shape and nose resembled those of Greek gods, his cheek bones so defined. They even had a hint of red that gave you a sense of comfort. He had this presence to him like he was important. You can see it in his deep brown eyes that are so full of secrets. I try my best not to be overwhelmed by this whole situation but his god like physique was not helping.