Together .46

Jonathan

It was finally opening night here at the beginning of October. Due to the lockout last season the scheduling is a little different this season but that's okay. I get hockey sooner and get to do what I love.

I pull on a suit getting ready to walk the red carpet. I bought this suit for George's funeral and haven't worn it since. It was special to me so I only wanted to wear it on special occasions. I had the word "ephemeral" stitched on the cuffs and it gave me a sense of calm. Because everything in this life is ephemeral, this game, my place in it. One day they'll only bring me up to talk about whoever replaces me. But my legacy, just like George's, will always be felt. And that's something that is forever.

"Hey babe, you good" Emilia asks as she steps into the master bathroom. I let out a sigh as I shake my head.

"Yeah. Just thinking" I admit.

"About what" she wonders.

"About your grandpa. He was at the last game I played, it sucks he isn't here today. Or tomorrow or any game ever again.

You know I could hear his chirping some games, even when he was in the handicapped section. He had a raspy voice" I chuckle.

"Yeah. He smoked for fifty years before I showed up so he has a lot of wear on it. Gonna miss being worried about being thrown out of games thanks to that mouth" she giggles.

"You're coming" I ask.

"Of course baby" she scoffs. "Why wouldn't I?"

"You're a busy woman. And I know you and the kids support me but Jas is starting basketball and Ken has hockey-" I start.

"Jonny we're always going to be here for you. You know that right" she asks me.

"Yeah. Of course I do. But I know that my relationship isn't like the other guys. Their girlfriends and wives come to every game and aren't worried about anything. You have a livelihood, you have thirty little kids who have next to nothing relying on you. It seems selfish to expect you to always be at the games" I admit.

"Don't take this the wrong way but your past relationships weren't very good were they" she accuses.

"Wow, how would I take offense to that" I scoff.

She steps between me and the counter so she was right in front of me. Her hands reach up and she pulls me in. "We are together Jon. And that means there are things I will give up for you and things you have given up for me. There is no power balance, neither of us losing who we are in order to be with each other. We're one part of one whole and I love that about us. So Jas might have to miss a game or Ken a practice or me some really unnecessary teachers night at school where most of the other teachers couldn't care less about me. But that's okay because we're going to be there for you which means more to us. We don't always get what we want but we're always going to be where we need. And we're going to be there cheering you on just as hard as my grandpa did" she promises me.

I smile like a idiot as my hands grip her waist. I pull her into me until her lips touch mine. "I love you so fucking much" I whisper.

"I love you too Jonny. Now and forever" she says.

I finish getting ready then drive on over to the United Center. It was still a little while before the red carpet ceremonies so I catch up with the guys and talk about the banner raising and the fact the cup is in the building tonight. There was a lot of buzz in the building and I was happy to have this after not having a real opening night last season.

It comes time and I make my way down the carpet. Sign things for the kids and take pictures. I saw a kid from Emilias class and smile big when he waves at me. I give him a high five and I can tell he was so excited. I'm happy I can be that for people.

Once I reach the end I stop for a interview. I stand on the X and get ready to put on my game face.

"Alright Jonathan, it is great to see you again. First off tell us who you're wearing" she says.

"This is actually a custom suit. I bought it from Tom Ford then I got embroidery done on the wrists" I say showing it off.

"That's awesome! What does it say" she wonders.

"It's the word "ephemeral". My girlfriends grandpa embodied the word and when he passed I got this suit made for the funeral. It's special to me so I thought that I should bring it out tonight for this occasion" I admit.

"It's a great looking suit and I love that it has such a deep meaning" she insists.

"That word isn't one that a lot of people know the meaning of. I had to learn what it meant the hard way with losing George. But he is looking over us here tonight so I believe that maybe he is forever" I smile.

"That he is.

We saw you had quite the summer with traveling and doing your day with the cup. What was your favorite part" she asks and I had to laugh. Like I could choose.

"Just spending time with my family. We adopted Kenneth and he's been so much fun to be around. Already took his first big hockey spill on the ice and started school. I never imagined being the man to adopted a kid but Ken has been a blessing and I love him so much. And I know Jasmines time with us is a temporary fix just trying to help out her mom but she's been great. She helps dress me because I have no fashion sense whatsoever and listen to me complain about the government. She's great.

And I couldn't do any of it without my wonderful girlfriend. God, she's such a inspiration and a motivation for me. She might be a grade school teacher but her knowledge is far behind that. The lessons she teaches are things those kids will live with forever. Just earlier she had to look me in the eye and assure me not to listen to my brain but to her. I don't win many arguments if we have any" I laugh.

"And now all you need is another cup and you can retire happy it sounds like" Kelly laughs along with me.

"You would think but another cup would be nice, but a long career full of them would be better. Tonight starts the next sprint to the ultimate prize so I'm gonna do what I can to control now but I think I'm set for a long time" I admit.