Surprise. 19

Jonathan

So much gets lost in the thick of things. Especially with what this season has turned out like and the crazy ride I've been on outside of the game. I wake up the morning of my birthday nearly forgetting it was today until my parents call me. I had to check the calendar again to make sure my days were right. Low and behold I turned 25 and I almost missed it.

After morning skate I go back to the apartment ready to pass out. On my way up I see a note on the door. The words "meet me at school for a surprise" was on the front as I raise my eyebrow. This could only be from one person for Emilia is the only one I know who would be at a school but I'm not sure what it could be. So I change really quick and head to the school she works at. I've been here once before to talk to the class about why it's important to go green. I told them about all I do to make sure that just because I live big doesn't mean I have to leave a big footprint. But that doesn't explain why she wants me here today.

I park next to her little blue Beatle and make my way to the front door. Once I was through security I easily find my way to her room. I notice there was balloons and streamers and other decorations outside her door and I just shake my head. I think I've figure out what she was trying to do here.

Before I get the door Kenneth comes running out and turns to me. He smiles real big before running over and jumping into my arms. I easily catch him before pulling him into a hug. I loved this little kid more than anything.

"Happy birthday Jonny" he says and I smile.

"Thanks man. Are you a part of this" I ask as I point to the door.

"No, Miss Emmie did that. But it's a surprise" he says.

"Then let's go see it" I smile.

I take him to the door before setting him down. It was all blacked out so I couldn't see in. She really went above and beyond in her decorations but she went above and beyond in most things.

"I want to open it" Ken claims as he leaps at the door. He pulls it open welcoming me into the little surprise that was set up.

When I get inside there was red and black balloons everywhere. Streamers hang from the ceiling and a big sign that said 25 in it.

The best part was every kid had a Blackhawks shirt I with my number on the back. They throw handfuls off confetti as I walk in the door.

"Happy birthday" they yell making my smile grow bigger. I see Emilia standing by her desk with the biggest smile on her face. She had a gift bag in her hand just covered in stickers.

"You" I accuse.

"You didn't think I wasn't going to do anything right" she asks me.

"When it comes to you I learned it's better to not try and predict what you're going to do. Everything ends up a million times better than anything I can think up" I admit as she smiles.

I pull her in a kiss long enough to let her know how much I appreciate this but not long enough for the kids to complain.

We take a bunch of pictures and the kids give me hand made cards. It wasn't anything expensive but it meant the world to me. These kids worked hard to send me kind words and wish me a happy birthday. It means a lot they helped Emmie pull of probably the best surprise ever.

The kids take no time cutting into the cake and of digging in. Of course Emmie turns this into a lesson and the kids get something out of it too. After a while it was lunch and they go away. I stay back and eat with Emilia to get some alone time with her.

"I can't believe you did all of this. From the shirts to the cards to the decorations. I loved it all" I insist.

"It's nothing. You deserve to know how appreciated you are around here. The kids jumped at the chance to make you something" she claims.

"Still. I've had 25 birthdays and this one is the most special" I insist.

"I'm glad I can make you happy" she smiles. "And before I forget open this" she insists as she hands me the bag with the stickers on it.

"What more could you possibly give me" I question.

"The world" she smiles as I smile back. "But this will have to do for now."

I take out the stuffing and reach my hand in there. I feel around for a second before I found something. I pull it out and find a little black box. It wasn't the only think in there but it surely wasn't what I was expecting.

I open the box up and see a black metal bracelet with a white ball on it. It looked really cool but I'm not sure what it was for.

"It's a long distance bracelet" she explains as she lifts her wrist. I see she had the same thing on but hers was white with a black bead. "Whenever you're thinking of me tap the ball twice" she explains.

So I tap it twice and I see her bracelet light up. She taps hers twice and mine lights up and vibrates a little. I smile like a idiot as a soft gasp pasts my lips.

"Oh my god. This is so cool" I admit.

"Now no matter where in this world you are we can talk. Of course don't wear it to games but long flights and after practice we can just let each other know we're thinking of each ither" she explains.

"This is brilliant, I love it" I smile.

I pull her into a short kiss as I cup her cheek. I feel my bracelet vibrate making me smile.

"You're the best, you know that" I ask as I dig around the bag trying to get into my other little things she got me. I was a little too excited about the Blackhawks water bottle but what's new?

"I just like you. A lot. And I wanted you to know that I'm really happy you're in my life. Even when we're not together I know you're with me" she says.

"I couldn't imagine this life without you" I assure her.