Gift. 30

Emilia

It comes time for game six out in Boston and Jon makes sure his whole crew is there. There's no promise that they will win tonight. But if I have learned anything from my short time in the hockey business I know better than to bet against this team. And we didn't want to risk the chance to see the guys win them all. The boys on the team have adopted the kids too and Jas and Ken want to be there for Jon win or lose. So we steal Grandpa George one more time and fly out to Boston. We get to the TD garden hoping not to be roughed up too bad. We got regular seats for the boxes wouldn't be too much fun if they do win it all. So we get tickets in the handicapped section with Jons parents and get comfy. My grandpa tell stories of TD garden that he remembered as a kid and the kiddos eat it up. I'm happy he got to come out here and I hope the nursing home won't be too mad. Again.

As we get settled in I make sure the kids don't stray too far for we weren't at the United Center anymore. They were nice enough to put everyone together knowing if we were filtered throughout the stadium we're dead meat. So grandpa keeps the kids preoccupied while I make sure I don't freak myself out.

"Do you always get so nervous before games" Amanda asks as I let out a ironic laugh.

"No. It's not the game I'm worried about. It's..." I trail off.

"Life" she asks.

"Yeah. Pretty much. I mean I don't think I quite comprehend what can go down here tonight. The weight that this event that I am a part of has. I look down at the ice and I realize that I can be down there tonight in front of the world celebrating a championship with my boyfriend who to most peoples knowledge doesn't even know we're together" I sigh.

"You're worried about people seeing you" she questions.

"No! No not at all. I don't have a doubt in my mind about who I am and I know Jonathan loves me regardless of what they will eventually say. But looking around into this life we're walking into... it's a lot" I admit.

"It is. But you're lucky because you guys were smart. You already know it is worth it and you already know he will make time for you no matter what happens tonight. He was over the other day and all he talked about was having your grandpa here to hopefully make his dreams come true. He was talking about all the places you guys plan to go. I know it might seem overwhelming but this... this has nothing on what you and Jonny have" she assures me.

I smile as I nod my head. "Thanks Manda. I'm glad we can openly be friends now" I admit.

"Yeah Emmy, me too" she smiles back.

I finally get settled in as I talk to Jas and my grandpa. I was a little scared to take my eyes off him because all this excitement might make him keel over. So I keep him close, keep him talking. Make sure that if they do win here tonight he can go see Jon.

"He's something special, isn't he" grandpa asks as we return to our seats. Jonny just scored a goal in the second period to tie this game and once again give his team a chance at history.

"I don't know a lot about hockey but I know he has a gift. And the thing about gifts is that once you have them you have to take care of them. Many people are gifted but few figure out how to share them in the way Jon has. You can't be given a gift and elect that to be the end of the story. You have to take care of it, build on it. It's not meant to sit there unattended. A gift can be a burden if you don't take care of it. It can weight you down until it is no longer considered a gift.

But luckily for Jon his gift couldn't be in better hands. His talent alone isn't enough to allow him to do what he does. He is full of determination, of pride, of passion. He took his gift and shared it with the world. We're really lucky" I admit.

"We" he asks as I smile to myself.

"Mostly me. I know he thinks I'm this all knowing wise and caring person. And I know a lot and I pride myself on wisdom and I care a lot. But he, more than he knows, has been the greatest gift I've ever received. His love gives me purpose far greater than I can comprehend. His passion for this game inspires me to help others use their gifts in the way he does. He is a gift to me too and for that I am thankful" I admit.

"You guys make quite the pair" Andrée accuses as I feel my cheeks get warm.

"I like to think so" I smile.

The game ends in a thrilling fashion. One I for sure thought was going to warrant a visit to the hospital on my grandpas behalf. But he pulls through, he stays with us throughout what has to be the craziest 17 seconds in hockey history. From the jaws of defeat to Stanley cup champions these Blackhawks have showed once again why they were the best. I honestly didn't see them winning this thing any other way.

Bruins fans slowly start to head out as we wait patiently to see our champions. I was feeling a lot of different things, excitement for what just transpired. Nervous to see if Jon will act like he knows me down there. Fear Kenneth is going to get trampled on the way down because he just wanted to see Jon that bad. There was a lot going through this brain of mine that never seems to know when to shut up.

Finally they let us down to the ice and I see Jonathan looking everywhere for his people. I call his name but once before he turns around. As soon as his eyes meet mine a smile spreads across his face and he skates over to where we all were.

As soon as he reaches me I feel my feet leave the ice as my lips meet his. I smile as I hold his awful payoff beard in my hands. God I couldn't wait until he got rid of that thing.

We break apart as he sets me back down. I keep him in my arms as I hold on to him.

"Baby I am so proud of you" I say softly making him smile.

"Hearing that is just as good as any Stanley cup" he claims.

"Sure but I still want to see it" I admit making him laugh.

"Of course. Let's go take pictures and make sure grandpa George can hold it" he assures me.

"Sounds good" I admit.

So we get our family together and take a lot of pictures. I know other people were taking pictures too but at this point I don't care. This family was a gift and it isn't without consequence. I always knew that. But it also had some perks and being down here with Jon and his parents and the kids was awesome. Grandpa got to do something really cool and I... I had quite the revelation here in Boston. I realized that the greatest gift isn't talent or family. It was love and I was lucky enough to share my love with so many.