America: Concussion

TW- vomit/ throwing up

Tommy's POV:

I woke up, and instantly, I could feel my entire body aching. I went to lift my head, and realised that I felt dizzy. Dizzy, sick and foggy. I remembered falling asleep on Will's shoulder, I remembered the meltdown and everything that had lead up to it. But when I thought about things, everything was slow, and nothing really stuck. I checked my phone: it was 3:00 in the afternoon. There was a text from Will.

Lmk when u r up. Making pancakes, can bring them up for you

Pancakes sounded very good right about then, especially as I was starving. I texted him back saying good morning, and less than a minute later heard footsteps coming up the stairs. My door opened. I sat up in my bed, suddenly feeling a strange weight in my stomach.

"Morning mate. Will is just doing the pancakes now. How are you?"

"Morning. Not great."

Phil sat at the end of my bed, "what's up?"

"Feel achy, tired, dizzy, sick and foggy. Just not very well."

"Oh no. Right, we'll I'm going to get a thermometer, you lie down again. I'll be back in a minute."

I did what he told me to do, but instantly felt as though I was going to throw up. I hauled myself out of bed, to the bathroom across the hallway from my bedroom. The entire way there, the feeling got worse. I reached the toilet in time, and emptied my guts into it. The pizza from yesterday being majority of it. There is one thing more than anything, that I cannot deal with sensory wise, and unfortunately that is throwing up. The smell, the taste, the burning in my throat, just the whole thing. So in between throwing up, I was sobbing. And in between sobbing and throwing up, I was clenching the toilet seat due to me being so dizzy. Life was hell at that point. I just wanted to be at home, in my own bedroom with my parents by my side.

Phil's POV:

I went back upstairs with the thermometer, only to hear crying and the sounds of vomiting. I rushed to the bathroom and saw Tommy sat there hovering over the toilet. It wasn't a pleasant sight, and I felt bad. Crouching down next to him, I tried to console him.

"It's alright, mate. You're going to be just fine." I didn't try to rub his back, or offer him my hand, because I knew that would just overwhelm him. Instead, I texted Will.

Don't come up, Tommy's being sick. Leave pancakes for now. Get someone to bring up water

Being well aware of how Will got with people being sick, the last things we needed was a stressed Will. He didn't need it either. Ranboo came up with a glass of water, Techno stood behind him.

"Wilbur told me to tell you that he and Tubbo are going to the shop. Something about getting medicine and food Tommy might be able to eat." He was interrupted by Tommy vomiting once or twice, but I got the message.

"Thanks Ranboo. You can just chill, don't think there's much we can do for him right now."

"Oh ok. I'll be in my room."

"You alright Techno? You don't have to be here either."

"It's fine, I'll stay. Don't want to leave you to deal with everything, plus when Tommy goes back to his room, someone's got to clean this up, and someone's got to stay with him. It works better with 2 people."

"It's does. Thanks mate."

"No problem. Hey Tommy, you think you're ready to go back to your bed yet?" I too, noticed how Tommy was now curling himself up in a ball on the bathroom floor, still crying.

"It's alright Tommy. Everything's going to be fine. It just sucks doesn't it." No nod, nothing. Just him staring at nothing, and crying. "Aww, mate. Look, do you want me or Techno to sit in your room with you?" Still nothing. I rubbed his back slightly, and he glanced over towards me and Techno. Still, no eye contact.

"Hey Tommy." Techno pointed at himself, then me, then over the hall to Tommy's room. Tommy pointed at Techno. "Good choice Tommy. You ready to go?" Tommy went to get up.

"Just before you go mate. Can I check your temperature?" Tommy looked at the floor. "It's just so we can work out what's wrong, so we can help." Tommy turned towards me, "thank you." I put it in his mouth, and pushed the button on it. He put his fingers in his ears, and started walking about in the bathroom. Seconds after, he handed it back to me, and was slapping his thighs with the heels of his palms. 

"Got to keep it in there longer than that for it to work Tommy. It's got to make a beep doesn't it?"

"It's fine Techno. We'll do it later Tommy. Ok? Texture is probably a little much right now." It made the beeping sound, and Tommy put his fingers back in his ears and hummed to himself. "All done Tommy. No more thermometer ok? You and Techno are going to sit in your room, and you can take a nap or just chill." Tommy walked towards Techno, and I noticed he was a little wobbly on his feet. "Hey Tommy, just a second." He turned round to face me, still looking at the floor. "Do you want to wash your hands and face? Just some cold water on a wet flannel yea?" Tommy nodded. I took a flannel off the radiator we had been using for drying towels. "There you go mate. Techno and I are just going to get your room set up, come find us if you need to."

Techno followed me downstairs where I found a large bowel we could leave in Tommy's room and some pain killers. "What are we going to do Phil? What happens if we all get sick?"

"I don't think Tommy's sick. I think Tommy might have a concussion."

"What?! How?"

"Meltdown yesterday. Was hitting his head hard, against a solid wall for 10 minute or more. Said he was feeling foggy and dizzy as well as sick, earlier. Seems confused, and clumsy. Classic concussion symptoms."

"Ok, well what do we do about it?"

"We leave him for today. If he continues being sick or something goes really wrong, we'll have to take him to the hospital. His parents have done health insurance and everything, because of the meltdowns, so it won't be a problem."

"Why because of the meltdowns?"

"Because they knew his meltdowns were going to be bad, and they also know that Tommy has quite a few self injurious behaviours. Remember that massive bruise he got a couple months ago, and he blamed on it him being clumsy?"

"Yea. Said he walked into a door at college or something?"

"Nope. Bad meltdown to do with the changes through Covid. His dad said they've been worse since Covid. Apparently, he acts more like he did when he was younger. More violent, obsessive over routine and interests, and less social. That kid has been through it this year, twitch and YouTube have kept him going."

"Woah, he never told me. His parents say if he's had any concussions before?"

"I could ask, but I don't know. Anyway, you, Will and I can talk more later. Let's take this back up for him."

"Yea."

A/n Hey. Thank you so much for reading. More parts coming soon, this one is quite long, but I hope you've enjoyed this part of it. Thank you so much for 2000 reads; the votes, comments, requests and adds to reading lists are all really appreciated too. You are all wonderful people, keep your heads up. I hope you have a great day.

Thank you,

Tag