Adopting the weird kid pt.10 (Tommy and SBI)

Wilbur's POV:

Once Techno got back in the car he turned to see me with Tommy asleep on my shoulder. "Just drive." I mumbled, not knowing whether he was just going to take the mick. 

"Is he okay? Was what I was actually going to ask." He sighed, starting the car. 

"I don't know Tech, I really don't know."

"Well I was like that at first."

"You punched a wall Techno, not run off in the middle of a shop."

"You're saying that he's worse?"

"I don't know, but we've got to help him somehow and I don't think any of us know how."

"We'll work it out," he said smiling at me through the rear view mirror. I just smiled back and looked out the window. It's harder to find the bright parts of life when you don't know if everything is okay. When you're happy or calm, or whatever, finding the flowers in a field seems 10 times easier to do. When everything's is down on you, it's hard to even start looking for flowers. It's hard to even walk to the field.

As I looked out the window, that's how I felt. I didn't want Tommy to go already, he was like my little brother and I'd miss him too much. And I didn't want Tommy to not get the help he needed, but I didn't know if we could give him that help. I didn't know if I'd find the flowers, and that kind of messed with me a little.

We pulled up on the driveway and Techno went and opened the front door. I undid Tommy's seatbelt and sat awkwardly waiting. Techno came back soon enough and helped carry Tommy inside and up to his room. Chris and Dad gave us those sympathetic smiles again.

Once Tommy was lying down, Techno helped me slip of his coat and shoes. Whilst Techno took them downstairs, I tucked him in and left him asleep. It kind of hurt to see your little brother in some much pain but not being able to give him some ice pack or pain killers for it.

I slumped in my seat at the dining table. "So, can you tell us what happened?"

"He was anxious, I knew it. He kept wincing at the squeaky wheel on the shopping trolley, then he flinched at the automatic doors. When we got inside he was overwhelmed, and I offered to leave but he said no. Then he just flipped and ran off. We had to corner him and kind of just hug him until he stopped trying to run off."

"Okay, Phil, I'll go back a bag for Tom and take him back. We'll reassess it at the end of this week." Dad just nodded.

"What?!" I said, jumping up from my seat.

"Wilbur calm it." Dad said, gritting his teeth.

Techno jumped up too, "are you taking Tommy back?"

"Yes, unfortunately I don't think Tommy is quite ready."

"Well have you asked him?!"

"Wilbur, please, Chris knows what he's doing."

"And I know my little brother. And he's ready, he just needs up to keep ourselves in order. Like not scaring him with the shower talk! And not just taking to him a shop on his first day! He's ready for us, and we aren't ready for him. And that means we are failing him! Okay? So no, he's not going back with you Chris, because he's not going anyway until we give him a fair chance!" I slumped back in my chair and sighed, crossing my arms.

"And I agree with every single word he said." Techno mumbled, doing the same and then high-fiving me.

"I'm really sorry about this Chris, I'll talk to them later, why don't you go get Tom?"

"No Phil, Wilbur is right. I can give you some resources and ideas on what to do to help and Tom can stay. I think it would be good for him, honestly. He needs a family, not a care home."