Bumping into you (Small streamer and Wilbur (and a little Tommy and Phil))

The request for this chapter was: Wilbur finds a smaller streamer at a convention, very overstimulated and on the verge of a meltdown. He helps calm them down.

(PS: I got part way through writing this story and was really enjoying it so added some stuff. I hope that way okay!)

Wilbur's POV:

Things were a little different for me now. I mean, I didn't stream or do youtube as much and the whole hype of it had calmed down. But it was nice in a way. At conventions especially, it gave me a little more space and breathing time. Don't get me wrong, I loved my fans and I really appreciate everything that it's allowed me to do but it can be very draining to deal with over convention weekends. A bunch of my friends feel the same way. And we make a kind of pact to look out for each other. Especially our neurodivergent friends. They were quite a few of them But Phil always talks about how he and Kristin make a massive effort to check in on Aimsey. They haven't had the best experiences at conventions in the past and the accessibility for content creators themselves tends to be awful.

I was just walking around towards the end of the first day of the convention. It had been a great day in general and I was looking forward to the content creator meet up later that night. As I looked for some more signage to try and work out where the hell I was supposed to go, I bumped into a young-looking guy, holding a fidget toy and looking really nervous. "Sorry, my fault," I apologised for bumping into them and went to continue walking.

"No, uh, I'm sorry. It was my fault, I didn't look where I was going and um, yea sorry. Just sorry," I could see the tears in their eyes and felt at a slight loss at what to do.

"It's okay." I said, feeling like that was a good way to bridge the gap.

"No it isn't. I should have been looking."

"I should have been looking too," I contested, but he just started crying more. "Would it be okay if we stepped outside for a minute?" They nodded and I tried not to get us lost as we went outside.

Once out there, they stood next to me and stimmed. Again, I've got neurodivergent friends, I know what stimming is. And I also knew, that whoever this was, was having a meltdown or sensory overload.

I waited with them patiently and knew that at some point they'd feel okay enough to begin talking to me again. Until then, I didn't mind soaking up the last bits of sunlight before the temperature dropped.

It was about 15 minutes until they spoke. "I'm really sorry about that."

"Don't be. I understand. My friends have taught me well." I tried to give a comforting smile but I don't think they really received it.

"Yea."

"Do you feel calmer?"

"Yes thanks. I just guess I forgot to take breaks today. It's my first convention where people have actually recognised me and my friend was supposed to come but he couldn't make it."

"Getting recognised for the first time is always scary. And conventions are always overwhelming."

"I remember Tommy saying something about it on stream once. I tried to find the clip today to make me feel better but the signal wasn't good enough to get it to play." I knew immediately which Tommy they were talking about and therefore that they must know who I am too.

"Well, Tommy was dealing with that at a similar age to you."

"Yea, I'm only a few years younger than him."

"I would feel wrong not to call you a gremlin child right now."

They laughed and I watched them relax even more. "You're welcome to call me that but Leo works too."