Exhausted pt.4 (Tommy and Phil+Kristen)

Kristen's POV:

I went in and tried to act normally after talking to Phil. I was worried about how Tommy would react and felt bad. It wasn't my fault, but I knew the poor kid was going to have a meltdown and I couldn't change that.

"When Phil gets here I should help him put away the shopping."

"You don't have to if you don't want to Tommy, you're our guest."

"No it's fine, I'd like to help."

"Ok big man." We heard the sound of the door unlocking, "let's go and help him then."

Tommy practically ran to the front door, before looking at Phil and making a confused face. "Why have you got so many bags? Did you buy the entire shop Phil? I'm only here for one night!" 

Phil smiled sympathetically at Tommy and then looked to me. Without saying anything he put the bags in the kitchen and walked Tommy to the lounge.

"What's happened?"

"You're going to be with us for a few days mate."

"What! Why?" He looked on the verge of tears already but was trying to keep it all in.

"Your mum and dad's flight was delayed and cancelled, there are a lot of problems with the planes so they are going to fix them."

"So I'm not going home tomorrow?"

"Sorry mate."

"I'm not seeing Mum and Dad tomorrow? I'm not going to college on Monday? I'm not going home?" 

"No, I'm sorry Tommy, you aren't." He burst out into tears. "Would you like a hug mate?" Phil offered out his arms again.

"NO HUGS!" Tommy was screaming and sobbing like anything, I felt bad. "WANT TO GO HOME! MUM AND DAD! WANT MUM AND DAD!"

"Sorry big man. Mum and Dad will be back soon but not tomorrow. For now, let's find something to do. Would you like to help me make some cornflake cakes or watch a movie?" I was starting to remember everything I hadn't done for a few years.

"NO! WANT TO GO HOME! MUM AND DAD!"

"Hey come here," I sat down on the sofa and beckoned for him to come closer to me. He shook his head, "no? Ok that's fine. We've got 2 choices, we can make some cakes or we can watch a movie. Which one would you like to do?"

"GO HOME! HOME!"

"Tommy, it's alright. I promise you that I'll take you home the minute your parents get back."

"NO! YOU SAID PROMISE I SEE THEM TOMORROW!"

I watched Phil curse under his breath, remembering he had done that and look back at me. I once again stepped in. "Would you like me and Phil to give you a minute to yourself, or would you like a hug?"

He was crying and obviously struggling to talk. "AHHHHHHHHHHH!" He shouted as he hit himself in his head. Phil stepped in: quickly walking over to Tommy, sitting down next to him on the couch and pulling him into his lap, arms wrapped round his back and gently holding his arms down. If Tommy wanted to he could have still hit himself, but instead he gripped onto Phil's sweatshirt and sobbed into his shoulder. Phil rocked the both of them from side to side and slowly Tommy stopped crying as much.

Whilst he may have seemed frustrated with all his shouting, at the end of the day, he was just upset. His routine had changed and he had struggled without his parents, all he wanted was them to come back home. I sat next to them both and ran my head through Tommy's floppy hair, trying to do it enough to calm him. Phil and I smiled at each other, not that we were happy in any way, just that we had nothing to say.