Inui // Late-Night Drive

You were so drunk. You just got out of a bar alone so you booked an Uber for your ride home. As you are waiting for them to arrive you look above. The buildings and city lights are covering the beauty of the night sky, that's what you think. You took a deep breath and feel the cold breeze kissing your cheeks. "It's a good life," you said.

Your phone chimes. It's a notification that says your uber is there, it says a black car. You're too drunk to read the license plate. You look around and saw a black car parked in front of you. You instantly went there and open the door.

"Finally, going home. don't mind me I like riding shotgun"

"Miss..."

"Shhh!" You said putting your index finger in his lips.

"Let's go. I want to go home."

"What?! you think this is..." He paused "Miss this is not an U..."

"Shhhhh!"

He stares at you for a while, he looks uneasy but he still obliges and started to drive the car. You look at the driver and he's pale and has a mark on his face.

"Wow! That's beautiful"

"What?"

"That mark in your face."

"You're drunk."

"I know, but my eyes won't lie to me."

He became quiet for a while and you look at the window.

"You look too elegant to be an uber driver." You said breaking the ice.

"Really?" He said and took a quick glance at you before returning his head to the road.

"Yeah!" You paused for a while. "Actually... can you drive around a little? I'll pay extra. I remember that I live alone. I might cry when I go home."

"Okay." He said looking at you confused.

"Thank you, Mister?"

"Inui, Seishu Inui."

"y/n. Nice to meet you." You said smiling.

"Mr. Seishu can you roll down the window please?"

He looks at you before he presses the button.

"Ah! Wind! that's nice." You said as you close your eyes. You slowly peek through the window.

"Hey! That's dangerous."

"It's okay. People die anyway." You answered.

You close your eyes and feel the wind in your face. Late-night drives are relaxing. The smell of burnt cigarettes, the wind kissing your cheeks, and the music playing on the radio.

After a couple of minutes, you went back and sit properly.

"Mister Seishu?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you sometimes feel tired about everything?"

"Yeah. Sometimes"

"Me too." You said smiling. There's silence for a moment before you speak again "I'm dying." You added.

He snaps his head at you and you chuckled. "What? I don't look like dying to you?"

"Ah, no. I'm just surprised."

"My doctors said I only got three weeks if I'm lucky."

He didn't speak for a while.

"Colon cancer stage four if you're curious to know. Late diagnosis so cancer cells are already spreading. Treatment won't work. I have a 14% chance of survival." You chuckled. A bitter chuckle.