Hanma // Sign

You are walking your way home and it's raining hard. your eyes caught someone sitting on the ground and drenched in the rain. He has long hair and tattoo on both hands. His face is full of cuts and bruises. As you walk closer, you can see that he's beaten, so you stop in front of him.

Your mother always reminds you that never interact with a stranger but you can't just leave him like that. In your mind, you need to do something to help, so you crouch down to look at him. His eyes are closed, leaning his back against a post. You get something from your bag. You have a mini first aid kit with you all the time because your brother is clumsy. He always falls and scratches his knees.

You took it from your bag and started to clean his cuts. He flinched when you put on some anti-septic and immediately grabbed your hand.

"Who are you?" He said as he opened his eyes. You didn't speak because well, you can't speak. You're mute since birth, so sign language is your only way to communicate.

You continue to clean his wounds but he slaps your hand, making the cotton ball you are holding fall on the ground.

"I said who are you?" He repeats his question as he glares at you.

You don't have any choice but do a sign saying "Helping."

"Huh? I don't understand you!"

You take your mini notebook from your bag and write the word Helping. Then you show it to him.

"I don't need your help! Are you mute or something?"

You just nod as your answer.

"Well, leave me alone!"

You sigh, You just wanted to help but if he didn't want any, then you will not force him because something might happen to you if you try to insist, you don't know him.

You can't leave him like that so you just put the small box of first aid on his lap, You then write something from your tiny notebook and give it to him. You hold his hand. He tried to pull his hand away but you hold them tightly.

You gave your umbrella to him, He didn't want to accept it but you groaned like you were saying that he should have it, then you gave him a warm smile, saying that it's okay. He stopped resisting and finally accepted the umbrella, so you stood up. You bow to him as you started to get wet from the rain.

"Wait! How about you?" He asked. You wave your two hands gesturing, no, and a thumbs up, saying that you're okay. You then wave at him and start to run.

***

The next day you sneeze.

"That's what you get from running in the rain!" Your mother said, You looked at her and gestured a sign saying Sorry.

"It's fine y/n, but next time don't forget your umbrella, okay?"

You nod and give her a warm smile. she then messes with your hair. "Your smiles are making everyone feel nice." She then looks at you "Turning a bad day into a happy one with just a smile. That's a gift. " She said as she cups your cheeks. "Don't let anyone take that smile from you."

You nod at your mother, smiling. She then pats your shoulder and continues to clean the dishes.

"Oh! I forgot, Honey, can you please bring the spare key to our new tenant? He just moved in two days ago. The first key broke."

You stand up and walk towards your mother. She then gives you the key. You went to the apartment number your mother told you and saw a man leaning against the railing, His two arms resting at them. There's a cigarette in his mouth. He's watching the people who pass from above as he puffs some smoke.