Mitsuya // Be my Mistake

My chaotic feelings somehow calm down whenever I see you sitting there reading in silence. The serenity that comes with you causes my world to pause, allowing me to breathe...

You said that feelings can change, that no matter how much you like someone, there's still a possibility you'll wake up one morning and realize you can't see your future with them anymore... That all of those gushing emotions will eventually fade...

Is it true, Mr. President?

Is that what you meant when you asked me to be your mistake?

•••

"Have you finished studying for the entrance exam? We need to take them two months from now. If there's something you don't understand, you can ask me, okay? Did you already make up your mind about medical school? For me, it's beneficial if you're in the same field as me. That way, our future will be secure..." Inui, your boyfriend said, but you couldn't hear a single thing because your head was filled with thoughts.

"y/n? love?" He mumbled, lightly clenching your hand.

"Ah, hmm?" You snapped out of your trance and looked at him.

"You're spacing out... Are you okay?"

"Seishu?" You said, stopping in your tracks and facing him.

"Yeah?"

It took you a few seconds before you gathered your courage to speak, "What if—what if I pursue art? There's a university I'm interested in, maybe—"

"Love," Inui cut you off as he cupped your face and raised it to meet his gaze. "We already discussed it, right?" He gently said as he leaned in closer, staring into your e/c eyes. "We've already decided to attend Keio University next year, and besides, I've already told you that there's no money in art... We'll get married in six to seven years, and if you're going to be a struggling artist, how can we afford our future together? Housing alone costs a lot of money we need to be prepared, especially if we're planning to have children... You understand me, right?"

You looked into his eyes, those sincere eyes, and gently nodded. "Yeah." You whispered almost inaudibly. You then paused and painted a bright smile. "Yeah! you're right. Don't mind me. It was just a silly thought." You chuckled, scratching the back of your head.

"Good. Let's not talk about arts, okay? We need to focus on our entrance exam." He smiled and kissed your forehead before holding your hand.

You and Inui were childhood friends before you both decided to date. He's been with you since you were both five, and he's the only one who stayed by your side through all the hardships in life.

Your parents divorced when you were in middle school, and you moved back and forth between them. They both remarried when you were in high school and decided to exclude you from their lives... Yes, just like that.

They just left you in a house to live by yourself, like a puppy they abandoned because they no longer wanted it. They send money every month, and took care of your tuition fees, for the sake of self-satisfaction... for them to convince themselves that they are still good parents despite the fact that they abandoned you.

All of them prioritized their happiness first, neglecting yours, but Inui... Inui stayed. He is the only one who set aside his own happiness just to see you smile.

And that made you fall for him hard.

He's just looking after me. He only wants what's best for me... for us. I am happy with him and I will be forever happy with him.