Piece of Peace

Back to Audaire's POV.

The sunlight pours in from my window. I rub the sleep out of my eyes and groggily crawl out of bed. Once I'm downstairs, I finally glance at a clock.

8:23 a.m.

I hardly slept upon returning home from the lake. I'm exhausted, but I guess this means I'll sleep better on the plane.

I look around, not spotting my family or the members. They must all still be in bed. I make a pot of coffee for myself and for whoever wants some later. It's a beautiful, bright day, so I decide to drink my coffee on the patio.

From where I'm standing, I can see toes poking out from behind a lounge chair by the pool. I make my way over there, coffee in hand, finding two men lying side by side.

"Yoongi? Hobi? What're you doing out here?"

"Just soaking up some sun," Yoongi replies.

I giggle. "You hate the sun though."

"But he doesn't hate this ray of sunshine," says Hoseok, doing a flower pose. Yoongi makes a face, feigning disgust. Hoseok lightly shoves his shoulder. "Stop that."

A fond smile that reaches my eyes creeps across my lips. Things (whatever they may be) are better between them. Much better. I can feel it in my bones. "Well, I won't bother you guys anymore. Don't forget our flight leaves at seven."

Hoseok nods, answering for the both of them.

I flash one last smile and go back into the house. Annalise is sitting at the table when I walk in, having helped herself to a cup of the coffee I had brewed.

"Good morning," she greets me.

"Good morning. Where's your mini-me?"

"She's sleeping in for once."

"She's worn out from all that swimming."

"Yeah," Annalise agrees. "Your boyfriends are something special. I want to thank them before you guys..." A lump forms in Annalise's throat. "Before you guys leave."

I approach my sister and rub my hand comfortingly over her back, trying to prevent my own tears from falling. "We won't be gone long."

I'm not sure if I'm saying that to bring peace to her or myself.

"A year is so long."

"I know. I'm sorry."

Annalise looks up at me. "You don't need to apologize. You're living your life as you should."

I worry that my family feels abandoned by me at times. Though they've never mentioned it, the thought still crosses my mind. They were happy for me when I got the teaching job, but when I actually moved to Korea, it officially sunk in how different things would be from now on. It probably sunk in more for me than it did for my family.

Anyway, they tell me often how proud they are of me and what I'm doing, and of course, that brings me joy. Yet, I'm left wondering how they truly feel about me being away.

"I'll come home soon."

She shakes her head. "We'll come to Seoul."

"The guys and I would love that."

***

"Need any help packing?" my mother asks as she stands in the doorway.