Film Out

"I'm not sure I like the thought of you being around them again."

"I don't have a choice, Beck," I apprise, placing a folded t-shirt into my suitcase. "I have a job to complete."

"I still don't like it," Beck mutters as she crosses her arms.

"Trust me, neither do I."

"But you will once you get there."

"What do you mean?"

"As soon as you see the members, you'll fall back in love with them," she clarifies.

I snicker. "Really? That's what you're worried about?"

"I'm serious, Audaire."

Beck's pained expression sends a dagger through my heart; I can't bear to see her like this. So, I envelop her in a tight embrace, holding her so close to my body that we practically become one. "Nothing is going to happen between us. I promise you. Nobody is more perfect for me than you, Beck."

Around two years ago, I was invited to California for Justin and Grayson's wedding. Beck was a groomsmaid who didn't have a date yet, and since I would already be attending, Beck asked if she and I could just go together. I said yes, but planned on that night being a platonic one. I did in the beginning, at least...

We later ended up in the backseat of her car.

After that night, we continued to see each other whenever we could. As a professional dancer who tours with world-famous artists, Beck is gone a lot. We make the most of the time we have together though.

"Please don't go," she implores, her face buried in my chest.

"I have to. I am so, so sorry," I express. "But let's look on the bright side, yeah? You'll be in Korea next month, and we'll get to see each other when you are."

"What if you're busy with work?"

"I'm sure Alex can handle it on his own for a day or two."

"Well, when everything's said and done," Beck begins as she pulls away to meet my eyes, "can we finally start our lives together?"

I stare at her. "Like, as in getting married?"

She nods. "Yeah."

"But what about your dance career?" I ask. "You've hit the big time."

"I'll stop touring and open my own studio," she replies.

"You...You'd do that for me?"

Beck tucks a piece of hair behind my ear. "I'd do whatever it takes to be your wife."

***

I send Beck a text message to let her know I'd landed safely in Ohio. My family is waiting for me at baggage claim, and as soon as my mother spots me coming down the escalator, she sprints over. Kat then wraps her arms around me in a big hug once I'm on the ground.

"Mom, we're gonna get trampled if we stay here," I giggle.

"Sorry," Kat apologizes. "I'm just so excited that I got carried away."

"You always get carried away," my sister laughs. "Now let the rest of us have a chance to say hi."

"Right, of course," she acknowledges. "D, I'll go get your luggage off the carousel."

"Thanks, mom," I smile.

After Kat is gone, Annalise hugs me too. "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you more," I impart. "Has the baby been sleeping better through the night?"