Daydream

A tap on my shoulder brings me out of a daze. "Are you almost done grading those tests? I need to report the scores to Mrs. Moon," says Misun.

The sound of the voice that I once loved now makes me shudder. It's incredibly annoying. I have to hear it five times a week and it never gets any better.

"Yeah, sorry," I apologize, although it's insincere. "There's only a couple more."

She squats down so that she's just below eye level. "What were you daydreaming about?"

My reverie has to do with the seven men that I call mine.

Finally, after weeks of waiting, we'll be reunited tonight. I'm so excited.

And so fucking relieved.

"I wasn't daydreaming," I lie. "I'm just tired."

"I have an activity that'll wake you up," she smirks slyly.

I put my pen on the desk with a huff. "When are you going to knock this shit off? We're done, Misun."

"Come on, Audaire. Can we talk? Please?"

"Do we start talking after one bottle of soju or two?"

"No. Sober."

A sardonic laugh escapes my lips.

"I'm serious, Audaire."

"I have to finish grading. Do you mind?" I do a shooing motion in an attempt to get her to leave me alone and then I return my attention to the tests.

"I went to your apartment the other night, but you weren't home," Misun divulges.

"I'm not home much these days."

"Do you have a new girlfriend or something?" she wonders with a hint of jealousy behind her words.

"Is that any of your business? And why the hell would you just show up at my place?"

She opens her mouth to speak but closes it again. Tears begin to form in her eyes. Misun tries to keep them from falling, though her effort is futile; they roll down her cheeks. "B-Because I came out to my parents and I was freaking out. I needed someone to be there for me."

I look at her, shocked by her revelation. I assume it didn't go well by her reaction, but I ask anyway. "How'd it go?"

"Horrible. My mom fell to the ground, crying. She screamed 'Why are you doing this to me? How could you? You make me sick.' Shit like that. I left the house after she got it out of her system. I've been staying in a hotel the past couple of nights. I'm apartment hunting now."

"Misun, I-I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry."

She shakes her head. "Don't be. You didn't do anything besides showing me who I really am. I should be thanking you. I was living a lie for twenty-eight years of my life. I can't do that anymore. I need to be my true self. And I can finally be me. I'm Misun-a teacher, someone who loves chicken and beer, and someone who is...a lesbian."

I take her hand in mine, rising to my feet and bringing her up with me. I pull her into a hug. "You did the right thing. I'm proud of you. And give your mom some time. She'll come around. Mine did. It just took a while."

"I'll wait for her, however long it takes."

"Patience is a virtue."

A small smile appears on her face before she says, "I'm sorry for the way I treated you. It was never my intention to hurt you. And I'll stop hitting on you. I hope one day we can be friends though."