8TEEN

"I'm so pissed!"

"Well, hello to you too," I greet my sister over FaceTime.

"Sorry, I'm just a little...irritated at the moment," she seethes.

"I think that's a bit of an understatement," I chuckle. "What's going on, Anna?"

"My senior trip that I've been planning all year is canceled."

I know how much Annalise has been looking forward to this. She's worked so hard to make this trip happen. Extra shifts, cutting out shopping with her besties, not eating at restaurants and only cooking at home. She even has a binder filled with every piece of information a person could need for a vacation, including a detailed itinerary. This trip wouldn't have been possible for her and her friends if it wasn't for Annalise.

"What? Why?"

"Because Avery broke her femur!"

My mouth hangs open in shock. "Pardon?!"

Annalise nods. "Yup. Cracked it right in half."

"Jesus Christ. Is she alright?"

"As okay as someone can be with a metal rod in their leg," she shrugs. "But since she can't walk, she's not going on the trip, and we were supposed to stay in her family's private villa. Like, I offered to push her wheelchair around the beach, but nooooo."

I roll my eyes. "Oh, wow. How considerate of you."

"Listen, I realize that sounded bitchy, but the accident was her fault."

"How so?"

"She and some of our friends went for a golf cart joyride, drove up a steep hill, couldn't get up it, and rolled down into a crick. Avery was driving, and when the golf cart tipped, it and two other girls fell on top of her."

"Who in their right mind tries to drive up a hill?"

"Ask Avery."

I sigh. "Well, what're you and your friends gonna do now?"

"Nothing, I guess."

The look on her face sends a sword through my heart. It pains me to see Annalise so upset. Of course what happened with Avery was a terrible lapse in judgment that lead to a freak accident, but it shouldn't prevent Annalise from having one last hoorah with her high school friends. Especially when she wasn't involved in said freak accident. She deserves to have some fun, right?

Lightbulb.

"Hey, I have an idea."

"Mm?"

"How would feel about rerouting your senior trip and coming to Korea?" I offer. "I mean, it's no Aruba, but it's still really nice here. We can even spend a few days in Jeju so that you can have your beach time."

"D, that sounds amazing," Annalise begins, "I just don't think I can afford to. We got a great deal on flights and Korea is probably triple what we paid."

"If money's an issue, I can help you out."

"No, I can't ask you to do that."

"Look, I have a decent amount saved, I make good money at my job, I don't pay rent...It's okay. Seriously."

She tilts her head to the side, unsure.

"Anna, you only graduate high school once," I continue. "You're eighteen. You have a kid. You work your ass off. Live a little. I think you've earned it."