The Story We Paint

"Namjoon, I swear to god if you drop paint on me, I'll kill you."

"Chill, Hyung," he laughs at Yoongi. "I'll keep it on the wall."

The strong smell of navy paint hits me as I walk into the room. I place a random box of my things in the corner of my new bedroom. "You know, you guys didn't have to go to all this trouble for me. Just living here is perfect enough."

Namjoon turns to face me. "It's no trouble at all. Jin hyung's white walls were sad and boring."

"He got his stuff moved out of here fast."

To give Seokjin time to move into Yoongi's room, I stayed with one of my teacher friends last night. And since all my things were packed away and at the boys' house, I wasn't able to change clothes. I didn't think it through and now my punishment for that is feeling disgusting.

"We did it all last night while-"

"YAH!" Yoongi screams. "You spilled it on my pants!"

His eyes shift downward, and they settle on the big streak of navy on Yoongi's pant leg. I cover my mouth to conceal my laughter.

"Oh, no," he mutters.

"You're dead."

"Uh, wait," I begin, "Before you commit murder, can you tell me where the others are?"

"Jin hyung is in my room organizing his stuff, and Tae, Jimin, and Kook are building you a desk and some shelves. I think Hobi is supervising them."

I flash him a smile, and as I turn around to go find everyone, Namjoon pipes up. "Hold on. You're just gonna leave me alone with him? That's aiding and abetting."

I laugh and continue walking out of the room. "I was never here."

The two start to bicker in Korean. They're speaking at a quick pace, so I can't understand a majority of what they're saying. I do, however, fully understand the bad words.

I eventually locate the maknae line in Hoseok's room. "Hi, guys! Need any help?"

"Nope, we have everything under control," Hoseok replies brightly.

"If what you say is true, then why is Jimin's finger wrapped in gauze?"

Jimin frowns. "I hammered it instead of the nail."

I get down on my knees to be at eye level, taking his hand in mine. "Are you okay? We should probably get this looked at."

He shakes his head. "The bleeding has probably stopped by now and it's only a little swollen. I'm okay. I promise."

Jimin reassures me over and over again until I believe him. "Alright, but if it's not better by tomorrow, we're going to the doctor."

"Yes, ma'am," he salutes with a giggle. Jimin then goes to pick up the hammer to get back to work. I gently take it out of his hands.

"Let me finish this. You should sit back and rest," I tell him.

He gestures to Hoseok. "Make Hyung do it. His butt's been in that chair the whole time."

"That's a lie," Hoseok defends himself. "I went to the bathroom and got the first aid kit."

"Oh, my hero."

"Do home renovations normally lead to arguments?" I question with an awkward chuckle.

"Yes," they all answer in unison.

"We have the best teamwork when it comes to literally anything, apart from building shit," informs Taehyung.

"I'll keep that in mind," I note as I get to my feet. "How're you doing, JK? You're quiet over there."

Jungkook looks up from the desk instructions. "Huh?"

"He's in the zone. He doesn't know what's going on," says Jimin.

"Sorry, Noona. I was tuning them out and tuned you out too by mistake."

I ruffle his hair. "It's alright. Can I have a look at that?" Jungkook passes the instruction pamphlet to me. "Why did I think this would be in English?" I ask under my breath.

Whipping out my phone, I pull up the translator app. I snap a picture of the instructions and wait for the translation to load. Once it does, I'm able to follow along decently well. Sometimes, it doesn't translate perfectly and I have to ask one of the guys to clear it up.

Ultimately, Jungkook and I complete putting the desk together, and Taehyung and Hoseok finish the shelves. Somehow in the midst of the hammering and nailing chaos, Jimin fell asleep on Hoseok's bed.

With Jimin still passed out, we sit in a circle on the floor, chatting about this, that, and the other. Half an hour goes by before a soft knock comes at the door. It swings open, presenting two men absolutely covered in navy paint.

Hoseok cackles. "What the fuck?!"

Yoongi clears his throat. "Things got a little out of hand."

"I can see that. How exactly did things get out of hand?"

"Well, after Namjoon spilled it on my pants, I flicked the paintbrush at him as payback. We called a truce and started painting again."

"But then Hyung noticed a smudge on his cheek," Namjoon carries on for Yoongi, "and he blamed me for it."

"Because you did do it."

"I couldn't have! I didn't touch you!" he retaliates

"I couldn't have! I didn't touch you!" he retaliates. "Anyway, when he saw it, he took the paint roller and rolled it all over my face."

"And then it just escalated from there."

Namjoon nods in agreement with Yoongi.

"Did any paint get on the actual walls?" I inquire, laughing.

"Yeah, we got it done," Yoongi answers. "I'm gonna hop in the shower now. You joining me?"

Namjoon's face scrunches up. "Hell no. You'll try to squirt soap in my eyes or something."

He smirks. "You're probably right."

Yoongi turns around and heads to his room, leaving Namjoon alone in the doorway. He tries to run his fingers through his hair, but they get caught in the stiff paint-covered strands. "I should go shower too. I'll talk to you guys in a bit."

"God, it smells like chemicals in here now," Taehyung mentions after Namjoon is gone.

"Look," says Jungkook, holding up his phone with a sadistic smile. "I took a picture of them. I'm going to post it on one of their birthdays."

"Send that to me!" I request.

"And me!" Hoseok exclaims.

Jimin pops up from the pillow. "Did I miss something?"

"Just follow the trail of paint."

[AN] Here's a short filler chapter! I hope I was able to make you laugh a little bit with this one!