Jamais Vu

After gathering my things and locking up the room, I spot Alex waiting for me outside of the recording studio. He immediately holds up an evidence bag containing a piece of paper. "Mr. Jung just handed over that marriage letter. He and Mr. Min have both handled it, obviously, but I'm hoping we can still pull a print from it."

"If not, we'll send it to handwriting analysis," I reply. "Maybe they can link it to someone."

Alex agrees before asking me how the first interview went.

I'm hesitant to tell him about what Sejin had said, although I know I must. "I think we should look into Seoyun a little more."

He raises an eyebrow. "Seoyun? The head of security?"

I nod. "Sejin has a weird feeling about him. And if Sejin has a weird feeling about someone, it's definitely worth looking into."

Alex remarks how Sejin seems like a pretty decent guy, so he's willing to trust this hunch of his. After all, we don't have any solid leads; we have to take what we can get right now. "Seoyun's interview is scheduled for tomorrow, but I'll see if he's available after lunch for one."

"Well, if you wanna keep an eye on the members for a little longer, I can go talk to him now."

"Y'know," he begins, crossing his arms, "it would've been nice if Chief Starling had mentioned all the babysitting we'd be doing on this assignment."

"It's only until we clear the security team," I remind him. "Can I have the keys?"

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out the keys to the company car. "Don't crash it."

"Yes, Dad," I tease. "Don't let the kids have any candy or else they won't want lunch."

"Hardy-har-har."

***

Once I'm in the car, I leaf through a stack of files until I find the one with Seoyun's address. I punch it into the GPS and slowly inch out of the company parking lot. The roads are busy this time of day with people going to work or wherever else they need to be, and I'm taking Alex seriously about not crashing the car. I really don't need a lecture from him. I get enough of them already.

I arrive at Seoyun's apartment within fifteen minutes. It's a nice complex located in Sincheon. Based on its location alone, rent has to cost a fortune. Knowing how well Big Hit pays their employees, though, it's likely not hurting his wallet.

I locate apartment 5B and ring the bell. A minute or two goes by before I hear feet shuffling on the other side. The door then swings open to a shirtless Seoyun, squinting from the bright morning sun. He must be using his paid vacation to catch up on sleep. I'd do the same.

"Hoobae," he says, his voice deep and raspy from just waking up. "Is something wrong?"

"No, everything's fine," I reassure. "I apologize for showing up unannounced, but are you available for an interview?"

"Now?"

I nod. "With you being head of security, it's important that we get yours done quickly."

Seoyun agrees to the last-minute interview, and he steps aside to allow me to enter. The inside of his apartment is even nicer than the outside—something you wouldn't expect from a single man living on his own. I've raided countless homes of single men and this is the first time I've seen one with a lavender-scented wax melt.

"Coffee?" he offers.

"Yes, please." I've hardly had any sleep these last few days, so I need all the caffeine I can get.