Life Goes On

5 Years Later.

"FBI! Freeze!" I yell out, my gun aimed directly at the perpetrator. "Drop the weapon and keep your hands where I can see them!"

"Don't come any closer!" the perpetrator commands, his gun also pointed at me. "You do and I'll blow your fucking head off!"

My feet stay planted as I order him to drop his weapon again. "Place the gun on the ground and kick it to the side. Now!"

Of course, he refuses.

If he won't drop the weapon on his own, I guess I'll just have to take it from him.

I only manage to get two steps in, though, before the man fires a warning shot into the air.

"I fucking mean it, bitch!" he screams. "Slide your gun over to me, and I'll let you walk out of here with the same amount of holes you came in with."

"Not gonna happen," I impart. "Now, if you don't want to leave this place in a body bag, you'll do as I say. Understand?"

It becomes clear to him that I'm not backing down any time soon. So, with no other choice and no balls to actually shoot me, the man makes a run for it. He heads for an open window located in the back of the warehouse.

Fast on my feet, I catch up to the perpetrator in no time and grab him by his leather jacket, yanking him out of the windowsill.

I'm wrestling with him when—

BANG!

A gun has been fired.

And I've been hit.

Then, suddenly, the lights in the room go from dim to bright red, and the buzzer signaling the end of the drill goes off.

"You're dead, Wilson," my partner notifies, lowering the simulation gun that's pressed against the back of my head. "You had no idea he had me as an accomplice, hiding in that corner."

I look to where my partner is now pointing at. He had concealed himself behind some large wooden crates. Although from where I was standing originally, I would've seen him clear as day.

"You didn't properly check your surroundings before engaging with the perpetrator. You need to survey the area as soon as you enter," he continues. "It's basic shit, Wilson, and you know that."

"Sorry, Crawford," I apologize, frustrated with myself. "I'll be more observant next time."

"There is no 'next time' in this field."

Alex Crawford is a tough partner who gets on my nerves a lot. But he's smart. I need someone like him by my side.

"You need to forget about the Grim Sleeper case and focus," Alex carries on.

"I am focused," I claim.

"Are you? Because if it's distracting you like this, I can ask Chief Starling to take you off the case."

"No!" I shout. I then realize I came off a little too defensive and calm down. "No. Please. This case is really important to me."

"I know it is," he sympathizes, "but try not to get so wrapped up in it, okay?"

I nod. "Okay."

Alex gives me a pat on the shoulder before exiting the warehouse to document his involvement in the drill.

"Don't let Crawford crush your spirits," says Will, the agent who played the main perpetrator. "He just wants to see you improve."

"Yeah, I know," I reply. "Great work today, by the way. The line about my holes was fucking hilarious."