Don't Leave Me

A month after Yoongi moves home, he's already back to work at Big Hit, and preparations for a world tour go into full swing. I figured he would be eased into it slowly over a period of time. After all, he just had major surgery four months ago. But the company seems to have a different plan—showing the world that Yoongi's ready to perform again.

Yoongi claims he's ready too. I worry for him; however, he knows his own body better than anyone else and he knows his limitations. So if Yoongi says he's ready, then I trust that he is.

Anyway, while eating lunch in the cafeteria one afternoon, Jaehwa suggests I come over for a chill night-in.

"Are you only asking me to hang out because Youngmi left for Milan this morning and you're scared to be alone?" I jest.

"No, I'm asking because everything's been so crazy lately with planning the tour. We deserve a break," they determine. "And, girl, you know our apartment is haunted! Of course I don't wanna be alone."

I giggle. "Alright, Jae, I'll come over so the demons can possess me instead of you."

"You're such a good friend."

***

As soon as work is done for the day, Jaehwa drives us to their place. I texted the members earlier to let them know I'll be home late tonight since I would be watching a movie at Jaehwa's. The boys didn't mind, saying they were going to be late too due to dance rehearsal.

Jaehwa and Youngmi's apartment is quite large, so I can understand why Jaehwa doesn't like being here by themselves. However, during dinner, I didn't notice any ghostly activity. Maybe they only bug Jaehwa though.

"What's your favorite genre?" Jaehwa inquires while scrolling through Netflix.

"Horror," I reply. "Hundred percent."

They smile. "Mine too."

"Really?" I question with a laugh. "And yet you're scared of a haunted house?"

"It's scary when it's your house that is haunted."

"Good point."

We first watch The Nun. And, like me, Jaehwa is also the type of person who laughs at the jump scares. They tell me that Youngmi hates both horror and thrillers, so they don't get to watch them very often; Youngmi makes them watch romance most of the time. Jaehwa enjoys romance movies, but they get tired of only the straight couples getting a happy ending which is totally valid. I, too, am sick of queer lovers meeting a tragic end in almost every flick.

It's just after nine p.m. when we finish the movie. Neither of us is ready to call it a night yet, so I propose we watch The Curse of La Llorona next. Before we hit play, I warn Jaehwa that it's more cheesy than scary.

"They could've done so much better with it," I assert. "La Llorona is such a fascinating legend."

"How does the legend go? I've never heard of it," Jaehwa discloses.

"A long time, there was a woman named Maria who married a wealthy man and went on to have two children with him. Their marriage turned sour though, and Maria's husband was hardly around anymore. But when he was home, he'd only pay attention to the children. Eventually, Maria saw him with another woman and became so enraged that she drowned her two children. She regretted it immediately and drowned herself afterward. But it's said when she arrived at heaven's gates, she was denied entry and banished to roam the earth until she could find her lost children. Now, she floats around bodies of water, weeping as she searches for them. Hence the name 'La Llorona'—the weeping woman. Some versions say she'll take any child she sees, and others say she attacks cheating husbands. But regardless, if you hear her crying, you should run," I explain the tale.