the world is cold, but you're warm | kenny omega

the world is cold (but you're warm)

pairing: kenny omega x reader

plot: when you try your best and you don't succeed, you can count on kenny to be there and be the man you need.

genre: comfort

warning: mentions of hyperventilation

word count: 2.3k

author's note: i actually started this a long time ago, back when i just started college (i'm now on the second semester of my first year). it was purely self-indulgent because i had a hard time adjusting, but then this was put on hold. if i didn't get this request, i probably would have been unable to finish this, so thanks nonnie!

votes, likes, and reblogs appreciated!

♡°.○•°.♡○.°•.♡.●•.°○♡•.°.♡°•○°♡

the drive home was tense, knuckles gripping the steering wheel so much so that it hurt, back straightened, breathing heavy.

in, out, in, out. you had to repeat it to yourself in your head like a mantra because it was the only thing keeping you from falling apart. and in the state you were in right now, if you didn't do that, you were sure to feel the familiar feeling of your chest tightening up again, the hyperventilation, and the feeling of everything in your world crumbling, piece by piece. it was a mental battle between you and the urge to cry and you were sure that the moment you let your guard down, the latter would win. you couldn't have that, not now, anyways, while you were still driving.

you hated the way your fists gripped the wheel a little tighter when you got to the traffic light lit in red, hated the way every single little thing bothered you when you were in this mood. you couldn't be blamed, though. nothing or no one was cooperating with you. everything was going wrong.

when you woke up, things didn't feel right. you already knew the day wasn't going to go the way you wanted it to, already knew it was gonna be a bad day. there was a feeling in the pit of your stomach that ached, your heart felt heavy and sad though there really was no reason to. it was six in the morning and nothing happened yet. you had just opened your eyes and felt kenny's arm draped over you, as it always is. in most cases when you didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed, it would make you feel safe, secure, but that day, you felt wrong, suffocated, trapped. you basically pushed his arm off of you and headed to the bathroom. poor man was so tired with work that it didn't phase him in the slightest. not a single one of his muscles twitch at the aggressive contact. he worked so hard, he always did. he didn't deserve you being a wreck for one of those days where he didn't have to do anything. you wished you could just be normal for once for your boyfriend's sake.

you stumbled into the bathroom, stabilizing yourself with the door and the doorknob, turning it, you pushed your way in and closed it loudly - you didn't mean to do that. you didn't have any control over your body at the moment - before sitting down and curling up into a ball, burying your face into your knees and breathing in a shaky breath.

fuck

things started to turn up - not really, but things could've gotten worse - when you splashed some water on your face and left the room. you must have been there for a longer time than you thought because then, kenny was already out of bed and guessing by the smell of bacon and pancakes, he was downstairs whipping something up.

it didn't seem like he knew what was going on with you. he didn't say anything implying he knew you were sobbing to yourself in the bathroom when you wrapped your hands around his waist, pressing a kiss to this toned back in order to show some semblance of normalcy.