you can only be so strong | the elite

pairing: fem!reader x the elite [kenny omega + matt jackson + nick jackson]

plot: fem!reader sustained an injury and tried to hide it from her friends because she didn't want to drop the title. they know her too well though.

genre: general

warning: injuries

word count: 3.3k

author's note: uhh, i don't think fully platonic fics like this is my strong suit ksjnejdndjdn

♡°.○°♡.•○°.•♡●•.°.♡○.•°.♡○.°●.♡

britt baker vs you.

it was a match everyone has been foaming at the mouth for. ever since she got herself over with her match against thunder rosa, they'd been begging all over social media to have you and her fight. you're the top woman to beat in aew's women's division so there really was no question why. you two are the most over wrestlers on their roster.

britt's easy enough to work with. you have tons of more experience than her, but she learns quickly and is eager to learn. you found out that she seems to have a good eye for the business, knows what would get over and what wouldn't. she knows her strengths and weaknesses as well and knows how to capitalize on them as much as she can.

the conversation went as smoothly as it could be. you and her already had everything planned out, from the more difficult sequences, the little moments before said sequences that would give the audience just a little taste of what's to come, along with the bigger spots you wanted to pull off.

by the end of your planning, you were sure you were making it to that pay-per-view's highlight reel.

you both wanted to get that match of the night stamp on your bout and you wanted it bad. you both wanted to blow the crowd out of the water and have them eating out of the palm of your hands. you wanted to show them what women's wrestling was all about and what you two were capable of, especially because you two have something in common, something that always gets thrown on your face by people on social media: you're both friends with the evps.

nevermind the fact that you both have worked your ass off to get where you are, nevermind the fact that just like any other wrestler, you've had to go through many less-than-pleasant bookers, nevermind the fact that you both have sacrificed so many things to get to aew, nevermind the fact that you've gave this business your blood, sweat, and tears.

apparently you were just here because you're friends with the evps. you're dead set on proving the people who say those things wrong.

but maybe you were a tad bit too keen.

the closing sequence was supposed to be you and her fighting on the top turnbuckle and grappling for the upper hand in what you hoped to be an exciting moment that brought the audience to the edge of their seats, you delivering a nasty looking upper cut which sends her falling down into the canvas below with a thud, you doing a moonsault off of the top rope, her rolling out of the way, you landing on your feet and doing a standing moonsault, a maneuver she dodges once more, then you finally delivering a standing shooting star press, something that she wouldn't be able to dodge, then you going for your finishing move.

it didn't exactly go to plan, but judging from the crowd's loud, rowdy reaction, you didn't think they noticed it. you don't think neither britt nor bryce did as well because they didn't check up on you.

you did though. the very moment you landed during the first moonsault - the one you executed from the top rope - you  immediately knew that something was seriously wrong. when your feet hit the ground, it was like all of your body weight only landed on one leg and pain shot up in a snap, making you quietly hiss to yourself as tears involuntarily spiked the corners of your eyes. somehow, someway, you still managed to deliver another moonsault without skipping a beat and a picture perfect standing shooting star press, but at that point, it just felt like muscle memory. mentally, you were thousands of miles away and most definitely not okay.