i hate the beach but i stand in cali. with my toes in the sand | matt jackson

i hate the beach, but i stand in california with my toes in the sand

pairing: matt jackson x reader

plot: matt says things he doesn't mean, but so do you. he ends up regretting it and calling you.

genre: angst and fluff?

warning: n/a

word count: 5.9k

author's note: i apologize for my lack of knowledge about airport etiquette. also i dropped a song reference in the actual writing (not talking about the lyric title) and i'd like to see if anyone catches it.

a bit of a spoiler: i kinda dump all the reasons why i hate the beach :P

♡•.°•.♡•°○.°♡●.○°.•♡○•.•°.♡•°.○♡

one thing lead to another and now you're here.

you don't even really remember what sparked the fight in the first place. you could just recall joking with matt like you have several times before, but that day, he just wasn't into your teasing, lighthearted comments and he snapped at you without warning.

you were shocked, to say the least. it wasn't like him to raise his voice the way he did -- at you anyway. sure, he definitely wasn't known to be the most stoic man in the world, he wore his heart on his sleeve and you could always tell what he was feeling, but he wasn't the type to yell at you either. whenever he got mad or annoyed at you, he would usually tell you that he wasn't in the mood and most of the time, you'd would stop there. maybe he'll put his head in his hands and leave the room, maybe gently and politely ask you to be quiet because he really wasn't into it. he'd only get mad like that if you didn't stop with your comments after he warned you, and if your comments were really, really, really bad.

not today though.

taken aback, you quipped some angry - and confused - words at him too and from there it escalated. he said and thrown around hurtful words of his and so did you -- words that neither of you really did mean, words that were only brought on by the heat of the moment, but uttered nonetheless. and it hurt.

he knocked something off the coffee table in his fit of rage, you didn't notice what it was anymore, too engaged in your violent storm of chaos and meaningless fighting. you jumped at the sudden crash, but gathered yourself in no time.

soon enough, you both were stood up yelling in each other's faces. you've never seen matt's face go so red and the veins in his head and neck were starting to protrude and become noticable. the different items around your shared house was now out of place, things you've decided on and bought together. the air was hot and fiery, but not in the way it usually was.

pet peeves and issues that bothered you about each other that were previously unsaid and kept secret poured out of your mouths like waterfalls, wild and uncontrolled. it only fueled the fire consuming the living room.

matt brought up something you were insecure about - something he knew you were insecure about - and you were marching up the stairs. he told you it didn't bother him, that he thought it was a cute little quirk of yours. and now he's throwing it in your face.

was your anxious thought of him lying to you and actually hating some things about you true? what else did he lie about although for your own good and to spare your feelings, but still lied about. things he said he liked, but didn't actually? at this point, you didn't even want to know anymore.

his thundering footsteps alerted you that he was right behind you, but now you wish that he could just let it go. leave you alone and cool down.

you yearned for peace and quiet, no more fighting and yelling over the dumbest things that didn't even matter in the slightest and you thought going upstairs would grant you exactly that. if only matt wasn't following you right now. he didn't sound like he was apologetic. you doubt he even processed the things he's said to you, but then again, you weren't able to process the things you've told him either. nevertheless, you were trying to be the bigger person here, the reason why the fight wouldn't be as big a problem that it could be. the only problem was that matt wasn't helping you with that.