he tears his love from himself, nevermind | kenny omega

pairing: kenny omega x reader

plot: reader burning their hand has kenny tending to them. and maybe something brewing comes to the surface, but maybe not.

genre: general, an angsty undertone, perhaps

warning: first degree burns?

word count: 1.5k

author's note: hey nonnie, sorry about your hand. it's been a while since you sent in this request though, so i'm hoping it's all healed up now.

♡.○.°•♡○.°●.♡•.°○.•♡°.○°•♡.○•°.♡

the alarm blaring in your ear made you loudly groan as you shifted in bed. it turned out to be a big mistake because if you weren't irritated from being woken up before, you moving to a position where the sun's rays would hit your smack dab in the face definitely did.

you threw your arm over your eyes to shield them before your other arm went to your nightstand to put a stop to the horrible chime. at first, you thought using that particular sound for your morning alarm was a smart move because unlike a nice one, or perhaps your favorite song, it annoyed you to no end so you'd definitely get up and turn it off, but at the same time, you hated yourself for choosing it because it was just so annoying. it definitely wasn't a sound a person would like to hear first thing when they woke up.

regardless of how you felt about your alarm, it was time to start the day.

you threw the covers off of yourself and wobbled over to the bathroom in your room to do your morning routine, making sure to thoroughly clean yourself of any trace of sleep that may be present on your face in a desperate attempt to feel more awake and clean, then proceeding to the kitchen to cook breakfast for you and your housemate, clad in a big shirt and a pair of shorts.

the atmosphere was just like any other morning, nothing really special about it other than the fact that you're cooking maple syrup flavored canadian bacon, kenny's favorite. it was delicious, not too sweet, not too salty, a dance of two beautiful flavors. the birds sitting on the window in front of the stove singing their songs and chirping away made you feel like a character in a disney movie, and you'd be lying if you said you didn't enjoy that. the air provided a nice chill around the room, not too hot and not too cold either. it was a nice morning, a normal morning, but a nice morning nonetheless.

there was still a lot of sleep in your system so when your housemate greeted you with a good morning out of nowhere, you were a bit startled and jolted foward as a result.

usually that wouldn't really be a big problem, actually, it wouldn't be a problem at all. it was probably just going to be something kenny laughs and teases you about and the worse case scenario would be you eating something off of his plate as revenge, but this time, you getting surprised made you jump which then led to you bumping into the frying pan on the stove. it was about to fall to the floor with a loud clatter, but without thinking, your hand reached out instinctively to catch it, only to once again pull back with a help when the pain receptors in your hand grazed the hot pan.

the pan fell to the floor with the food that it held, yet at this point you didn't even care. you were clutching your burning hand to your chest as tears pricked the corners of your eyes from the pain.

kenny walked over to you quickly, eyes wide. he certainly didn't expect this to happen. the both of you have been roommates for a very long time now and he's done that many times before, he's even crept up on with the full intent to scare you, but it's never resulted in you actually getting hurt -- except in video games where you get distracted and die because of him. it kind of frightened him a bit too, if he was being honest, set him on edge. after all, he just woke up as well.

when he got over to where you were, with your permission, he grabbed your hand, examining the damage. it wasn't too bad, he's seen worse, and you've definitely had it worse than this. it was just a minor burn. that didn't change the fact that it hurt enough for your tear ducts to be triggered though.

with his hand on your wrist, he lead you to the sink - the frying pan on the floor, cold and forgotten along with the bacon it once held that was now scattered all over the neat, shiny tiles - and opened the tap so the cold water would run over your hand.

you hissed at the sudden contact at first, but soon relaxed as it soothed your burn. it was comfortable, pleasant. for a while it was like your burn wasn't there in the first place and kenny was just holding your hand, from your wrist, to your fingertips, making sure that every area of your burn was being put out gently.

you looked at him from under your lashes. you saw all the textures of his face, the acne scars, light freckles one wouldn't even notice if they weren't as close to him as you are right now, the facial hair that was just about to grow, it made him all the more handsome, in your opinion. his blue eyes you dreamt about every so often was focused on the task at hand. they also held some tension and stress, maybe he blamed himself for what happened to you or maybe it's just from work. if anybody knew the toll work put on him, it would be you.

no words were spoken and you didn't know how much time has passed, but you definitely knew that you had been staring for way too long. people who are just friends and just roommates like what you had told matt and nick before didn't look at each other like that. the thing was, the bucks weren't there to see you at this moment.

the next thing you know, kenny was pulling your hand out of the water flowing, your appendage cried out again, wanting to be under the cooling liquid once more and to stay there until it's wrinkled and pruney and no longer in pain, but that didn't matter because you didn't really acknowledge it, only continuing to stare at the man tending to you, wondering what he has up his sleeve next.

"sit on the sofa," he nodded to the direction of the couch in the living room, "i'm gonna be right back. just gotta grab something from my room." and before you knew it, he was gone.

you sat like he told you to do and looked at your hand. it didn't look bad, it didn't even really look burned. it was a bit red, it was throbbing though, and it felt as if it was being roasted atop a campfire, much like a marshmallow. you hoped that you were not going to develop any blisters.

kenny was back in a flash with a circular, medium-sized, green tinted, plastic container in his hand. once he gotten closer, you recognized it as a bottle of aloe vera.

he sat right next to you and put a bit of aloe in his hand, and started to gently massage it over your burn. his soft and feather-light touch sent butterflies fluttering inside your stomach and you can't help the way your cheeks start to burn and go red. you just looked down at your joined hands so he wouldn't see it, hopefully at least.

at this point, the aloe has been fully absorbed by your skin, but his hand that was radiating an intoxicating brand of warmth hasn't stopped touching and running over yours. it was like he wanted an excuse to hold your hand, but maybe that was just wishful thinking on your part. he obviously knew better when it came to this stuff than you. that showed from the start, from the time you first burned your hand until now, a number of minutes later, the pain nothing but an unpleasant him radiating through your nerve receptors.

he cleared his throat, his captivating eyes catching yours for a moment and you found yourself unable to look away from his piercing gaze. he looked like he was about to speak, but was thinking very hard about the things to come out of his mouth. his lips were slightly parted, like he was about to utter something now. you barely recognized the feel of his fingers intertwining with yours - he didn't need to do that if he was just massaging aloe vera on your burn - for a moment because of how your mind was going a mile a minute with different thoughts, some positive, and some negative. you had no idea what was happening, what he was able to say, if you were just overreacting and this is totally something people who are just friends do.

much to your disappointment, he shut his mouth and shook his head from side-to-side. not in a way like he was answering the unsaid questions in your head with a no, but more like he was denying himself of something, answering the unsaid questions in his head with a no.

without saying or doing anything else, he stood up and headed to his room, gently shutting the door close, leaving you dumbfounded and even more confused than you were before.