four.

Fall break

Fall break. My favorite time of the year. When the leaves are turning pretty shades of red, green and yellow. Taking long drives down backroads to see the pretty colors and the windows rolled down to feel the mixture of warm and cold air breeze against your skin.

And contrary to belief, I actually loved Halloween. Halloween was one of my favorite times of the years and I didn't spend it drinking and partying, but instead handing out candies to kids.

We've had small gatherings at Gracie's house to celebrate halloween before, a little bit of red wine was involved. Although because none of us drink that often, really— rarely at all, we all got tipsy off a glass and a half.

I didn't enjoy dressing up, I didn't like feeling like it was a competition. Everyone always outdid me anyways. But the fall time— This was when I bloomed as a person.

Big comfy sweaters, hot chocolate and laying in bed in a cold room with three blankets on me. Waking up with those three blankets wrapped around me and one trying to strangle me around my neck while I was sleeping.

Ah, yes.

Fall.

The things I lived for.

This morning was different however, because my mom turned the heat on last night and I woke up in a puddle of sweat. How was I supposed to enjoy being cold and wrapped up in blankets when my mother was sweating everyone in the house out?

Of course, I had to take a shower after the sauna I woke up in and that in itself was annoying— I didn't even get to drink my first cup of coffee, but instead take a rag to my sweaty pits that had sat all night.

Ah.

Fall.

"How did you sleep?" My mother asked me with a tight smile on her lips as she poked at her burnt bacon on her plate.

"You turned the heat on last night." I said as I put my hair into a bun, standing at the counter while my coffee was making, "I like to sleep cold, you know that."

"It was freezing last night. It wouldn't kill you to sweat off a couple pounds anyways." She quipped.

There it was.

The small aggressions.

"I'm happy with my size," I whispered to myself as I grabbed my coffee, rolling my eyes where she couldn't see, "I'm going out with Gracie this morning."

"You've been leaving the house a lot lately, why? What happened to the Anna that sat in the living room with us while we watched our morning sermons?" My mom sighed out, "You used to love sitting with us-"

"I guess I've just been busy. I'm sorry." I took a sip of my coffee, flickering my eyes over to her for a moment before staring down at the counter.

"Don't say sorry to me. I'm not the one you need to apologize too," She humored as she pointed up at the ceiling, "Say sorry to God for neglecting his words."