thirty-four.

Laughter surrounded my foggy brain, penetrating my ears as I tried to regain my consciousness

A heavy blanket covered my body, my hands sprawled out to find my surroundings. Sunlight from the window burned my eyes as I peeled them open, a loud groan leaving my lips. My vision was blurry, and for a moment I wasn't able to see. I rubbed my eye with my knuckle slowly, letting out a sigh.

For a minute, I forgot what had happened—and in realizing what happened before I passed out, panic started to set in. My eyes shot open once more, using my elbows to push myself off my back quickly. My surroundings wasn't some creepy basement, or weird dungeon. No. I was thankful for that at least, but I had no idea where I was.

"What the—"

"Look who's finally awake," A soft voice came from beside me. My head shot over towards the person that was sitting in a rocking chair from beside me. I could still hear the laughter from outside, thankfully I wasn't crazy, but a confused expression washed over me. "Don't worry, it's just the kids playing outside. So youthful they are, hmmm..." She hummed softly with a smile as she stood to look out the window.

I pushed myself to the side of the bed away from her. I didn't know who she was, I had never seen her before, but somehow she had looked so familiar. I racked my brain, eyes grazing over her over and over again until I could figure it out.

Her dress.

It was white. Long down to the ankles. It was the same dress I wore when I got baptized. The day my mother tried to drown me. A sudden uneasy feeling set in my stomach and I let out a groan as I hunched over to hold my stomach.

"Need some water?" She glanced at me out of the corner of her eye, "There's some on the bedside table. Please, if you feel like you're going to puke don't do it on the sheets."

"W-Where am I?" Was the only thing I could think to ask. The water on the bedside table was clear, but so was the water the Janitor had given me. What even happened? Was I drugged? I drank his water and that was the last thing I could remember, but even before that—what made me feel so fragile?

"Don't worry," She added, "The water isn't spiked this time. Just a mild sedative is what you drank from the water bottle. Although, sometimes those medicines can seem to upset a stomach."

It was as if she had read my mind. My stomach was killing me though, and I had a massive headache. It was either die of dehydration or die of whatever the fuck they've put in this water. I took my chances and drank the water anyways.

Holding my knees to my chest, I gazed towards her with a sullen look. She finally turned on her heel and sat back down on the chair slowly.