forty-eight.

"We are walking into a wolf's den

"We are walking into a wolf's den."

"Can you be positive for once?" Pete hissed.

"Oh, right. Let me put a smile on my face," Niall retorted with a roll of his eyes, "Because going to the source of this chaos is a great idea, right? Haven't been to church since I was a kid. Gives me the fucking chills just thinking about going in here."

My eyes rolled with my hands deep in my pockets. We parked the car in the parking lot of the church, or what we could find, it was a full house today and the parking lot was full of cars. It's not like I wanted to be here either. Maybe Niall was right and we were walking into some sort of trap, but if I could just get a glimpse of who is running this shit show then I could get an idea of what we were dealing with.

The two bickered behind me as we stood still in a crowd of people who were lined out the door to get inside of the church. This crowd had grown much larger than it was when I worked here. Chills shivered down my back just at the thought of what they were getting themselves into. It's not like I could have done anything anyways.

We managed to save the people in Lisbon, but the Madrid crowd was going to be more challenging given that I had talked to these people. I know them. Most of them were stubborn anyways and didn't want anyone to go against the current of their faith.

Which is exactly what I was doing.

I couldn't wrap my head around where it all went wrong. I thought I had it under control. I thought that I could save these people before it got too bad, but yet, there I was in a crowd of mindless, hopeless people. Acting as though I had no idea what Angela was going to these people.

"Stop bickering and come on." I swallowed as my feet trudged up the broken brick stairs to the church..

The two followed behind me close, muttering some snarky comments on the way. Ahead of me there were two men on either side of the door giving out communion crackers and small shots of red liquid. It wasn't unlike them to do something of the sorts, whenever one of our loyal church goers died, we did the same thing. Of course communion was only on certain days of the year, but that was one thing we went against the grain with. I think it was just for comfort.

I never understood it, either way.

"The blood of christ, the body of christ." One of the men showed the communion crackers with a concealed shot of liquid. My eyes studied it carefully, pinched and curious.

"Thank you." I took it from him, but put it into the pocket of my long gray jacket the minute I passed him.

I didn't trust this.

"So, we just eat this?" Niall studied the cracker as he stood beside me. I could barely hear him over the chatter of the people who were finding their seats in the pews and others who were standing off to the side to talk until the service started.