seventy-nine.

I laid on the table in the emergency room, not fully asleep, but heavily sedated

I laid on the table in the emergency room, not fully asleep, but heavily sedated. Everything felt like a daze when they shot me full of pain medication, barely remembering when the doctor pulled the bullet out of my lower stomach.

The medication didn't give me much motivation to think about anything else. Not the ambush on the house, Niall, or Anna. My mind was blank, soaking in the numb feeling. It wasn't until they stitched me up when I started to gather my thoughts back, the sedative was wearing off, and I could feel the vague feeling of the needle piercing through my skin. But I laid still.

"We can move him back to his room."

I heard the doctor say. My head fell to the side, staring at the bloodied mess on the surgical table next to me. A silver bullet spotted with blood in a small bowl with sanitary towels filled with my own blood. I swallowed thickly, feeling my stomach flip sickly, and I closed my eyes as they moved me.

How could I have let this happen? Be so careless, so reckless. Anna almost died because of me. She almost got taken away from me again. How many more times was I going to fight for her life? How many more times was I going to fight for my friend's lives?

I didn't know how they found us. Sure they knew where the warehouse was, but never did I tell Angela where we lived. She wasn't breaching any kind of contract in showing up to our house, but it sure as hell wasn't the fucking deal either. But the deal didn't matter anymore. They made their first move and now we were going to have to deal with it.

The worst part is that I was doing this to help people. Not destroy their lives. Traumatize them.

This deal was supposed to protect them the only way I knew how. Many times I've made deals with the devil, but this woman was as pure as evil. She was not the devil, she was worse than that. Angela was the thing that made the devil shiver in fear and beg for death. Angela was the thing that lived beneath hell. The place nobody talks about, the place where you'd wished there was no heaven or hell.

I shook hands with someone I thought to be the devil, only to find out that I made a deal with something much worse.

Wheeled back into the room, they hooked me up to some IV's, made sure to hook me up to a heart monitor, and left the room. There was a thin layer of sweat on my forehead, letting my head fall the other way to see Anna sitting on the bed with her legs crossed and staring into her lap.

"Angel." I rasped.

Her head rose, gazing towards me with reddened eyes.

"Come here," I mumbled, "I need you."

Anna swung her legs over the bed, feet hitting the floor. I scooted over as much as I could muster, letting her lay beside me. I grabbed her hand, letting out a bated breath, and kissing her fingers slowly. It pained me worse of all to see her hurt. The anger that flooded me wasn't like anything I'd ever experienced.