seventy-two.

this is a double update, make sure you read chapter 71 before reading this one. x

The last fucking run

To say that I was relieved was an understatement. Because I wasn't. Things were about to turn sour if things didn't go the way we planned them to be.

I was stressed, but I couldn't let it show. I was sitting at the table with Anna, barely eating the breakfast she made. My appetite had gone to shit, even if I smoked a little bit of weed, it just made me nauseous to force myself to eat something.

I drank my bullet coffee to curve my appetite, just until I could find something much lighter to eat.

"How was work last night?"

I flicked my sight towards Anna, "It was fine."

Fine, as in, I never have to stare into those dead eyes ever again. Every time I had to meet up with Caroline and Tim, it made my skin fucking crawl. Even I didn't really get nervous, but around them, it was a different story.

But she refused to show her face now-a-days.

So I was stuck with her dead eyed minions.

"Mmm, that's good," She mumbled, mouth full of pancakes.

Ever since last night, Anna had been acting strange. When I came home last night, she was quiet. I tried to hold her in bed and she said she didn't feel good. I had to suspect that it was the nightmare she had. She needed space and that was okay.

However, I wasn't feeling too great about the nightmare she had. At the mention of the man with a bandaged head, my first thought was that she had dreamed of Ezekiel. A fresh reminder that he had it out for me since he burned alive in that fucking church in the village; yet as far as Anna was concerned, he was dead.

We needed to up her dosage on her medication. If she continued to have these nightmares, it would only do much worse than good.

"I ran into an old friend last night."

"Oh, yeah? At the petrol station?" I used my fork to push around the eggs on my plate.

"Yeah," Anna put her fork down, then stared at me, "Veronica."

I choked on my gasp, coughing into my fist as I hunched over away from the table. Anna was staring daggers at me. How the fuck did she run into Veronica? Goddamnit. She had one job, one fucking job.

"O-oh?" I swallowed hard, taking a sip of my coffee, "Okay?"

Anna still kept her cold stare on me, "Why is she back in town?"

Fuck.

"I think Ajax needed her to cover for someone," I shrugged one shoulder, "I'm not sure though."