Augustus Waters x Female Reader Request

This one-shot is for my dear friend and amazing writer, LucyLovegoodPrior, I hope you love it! This one-shot may have triggering topics regarding cancer at one point, so be advised as you read this. Now, I'm gonna shut up, and let's get to the story!

Y/N's POV

I didn't plan on getting sick as badly as I did. And yet, my dad's smoking caught the better of me and I was busy coughing up a lung in my school's bathroom during English class at my local high school. To top it all off, I was the only one in here doing this, so no one knew how sick I currently was feeling. My name is Y/N Y/L/N, and this is the story of how my loving boyfriend and I made one of my bucket list items come true ten times over.

After I was done coughing up my lungs and washing my hands, I grabbed my backpack and exited the ladies' room only to run right into my aforementioned boyfriend's chest. He smiled at me and asked, "Hey, baby girl. I missed you in class today, what's up?" I didn't look into Gus' eyes because I knew the second I did, the waiting tears would flow down my eyes and I wouldn't be able to hide my pain. Augustus' hands cupped my cheeks and I heard him ask again, "What's wrong, Y/N? What happened and who do I have to kill?"

I giggled at how protective he was being and wiped the tears away while answering, "No, Gus, you don't have to kill anyone. It's something I have that I don't know how to tell you about until after school." I knew it would take a hell of a lot longer for me to buck up the courage to tell the love of my life what was wrong with me, but I had to buy myself some time to try and figure it out. He cocked his eyebrows at me and I asked him again, "Please can I tell you after school, Gus? I promise it's nothing too bad, but it could be really scary."

That got Augustus thinking as I could see the wheels in his head turning like crazy and I knew I probably wasn't getting out of telling him at this point. He smiled at me, kissed my forehead, and stated, "Alright, I can wait until after school. But we're going on a picnic date, no exceptions." I couldn't stop the sobbing coming out of my throat and Gus wiped the tears away while asking, "Hey, hey, darling. It's alright, there's no need to cry, babe. I'm going to make this the best picnic you've ever had, Y/N. I swear on my life."

I wiped my tears away just as the bell rang and we had to go to our next period, which was Math class. Augustus and I shared the same classes since I'd been sick and gone for long periods at a time, so I held his hand the entire rest of the day and even during lunch. True, all our friends probably thought I was a weirdo for doing that, but I needed to hold him and make sure that he was there and that I wasn't dreaming. If this was how I was acting during the day, I didn't want to guess what I'd be like during our picnic.

When school let out and I'd gotten all my books from my locker to head home, Augustus shut my locker door and smiled while telling me, "Come on

When school let out and I'd gotten all my books from my locker to head home, Augustus shut my locker door and smiled while telling me, "Come on. Let's get that picnic going and then you can tell me what's on your gorgeous mind." I blushed and nodded while taking his outstretched hand and heading outside the school to his dad's pickup truck; Gus' car had been totaled about two weeks away and I giggled whenever he brought it up that he missed his car. Augustus smiled at me while opening my door and telling me, "After you, milady."

"Why thank you, good sir. Such a dignified chauffeur!" I exclaimed with a fake British accent and then giggled as I placed my butt on the seat. Gus beamed from ear to ear, slammed my door shut, and ran around the car while I buckled my seatbelt-safety in cars is important, people! As Gus got into his seat, I giggled and asked, "Did you have a picnic setup in here somewhere that I didn't know about while we were in school?"

He blushed and answered, "Isaac and Hazel helped me out and got the food ready for us while we were in school. It's in the truck bed ready for us to shove into our faces while we chat." I smiled as big as I could while holding his free hand. My heart was pounding out of my chest as we headed to the park for our date; Gus kept squeezing my hands as he drove and kept his eyes on the road so we didn't get into an accident. Silence festered around us and I heard Gus ask, "So, since we're stuck at this red light for probably way too long, what got you coughing and crying up a storm during English class?"

I inhaled, kept looking out the passenger's side window, and asked him, "Do you remember when I had to go to Charlotte last month for that doctor's appointment and you couldn't come with me?" Gus nodded just as the light we were at changed from red to green, allowing us to head closer to our final destination. I cleared my throat as best as I could, which wasn't that well anyway, and continued, "Well, I had to go to a lung specialist in Charlotte to get my lungs tested since I'd been sick so often. And two days after I took the tests, we got the results and they weren't what we thought they were." I heard the car swerve and I gripped the "Oh Jesus!" bar for dear life while yelling, "Gus, slow down! Do you want us to get killed?!"

He thankfully did and I felt the truck stop moving underneath me just as a coughing fit erupted from my throat; this was a hell of a day for me, that much was certain. I stayed facing the window while Gus said, "Alright, that's not the best thing to hear, I'll be honest with you there. But I do know that I love you with all my heart and I'm not going to let this get in the way of our perfect day together. Alright? We're going to have a good day today, for sure."

I couldn't stop the tears flowing now as I wiped them away and asked, "How'd I get so lucky to have you in my life?" He beamed and I leaned over the dashboard, hugging him as tightly as I physically could while he rubbed my back and peppered kisses on as much of my skin as he could reach. This man was the best thing to ever happen to me, and I knew I had to keep him in my life for as long as he'd be around. When we pulled away from the hug, I asked him, "Are we still going to go on our picnic, darling? I've always wanted to go on a picnic with the love of my life, and I can't wait for it."

My man was beaming like a child again and he exclaimed, "Then we are going on a picnic! Let's get into high gear, baby, and enjoy the day!" I couldn't stop the laughter coming out of my mouth as Gus and I drove down the road toward the park where we were going to have our picnic. Gus' hand didn't leave mine for the entire rest of the drive and when we got to the park, he finally let go to get out of the truck and get the picnic basket. I smiled and exited the truck as Gus beamed at me when he took my hand while we walked to an isolated part of the park for our picnic. When we got there, I sat down on the grass and said to Augustus while he set everything up, "This is truly the best day of my life, Gus. I love you so much."

Augustus smiled at me, sat right next to me, and pulled me into his chest while saying, "And I love you, Y/N. I'm going to make sure you have the best days of your life regardless of what happens with your health." I met his eyes, he wiped more tears away as they fell, and our lips met in a tender kiss that stopped time. I didn't know how long we were out on our picnic, but I can say this about that day. It was the best date of my life and I was so in love that Cloud Nine had taken us on a trip for the rest of our lives.