Athelstan and Tora Imagine

This is an imagine based on the History Channel's show Vikings, which I am still working my way through. I hope you all enjoy it! Stay awesome! :) :D

Tora's POV

Vikings, the people of myths. And my people. My name is Tora, daughter of Leif, one of the many warriors serving Ragnar Lothbrook in Kattegat. I was relatively tall for my age, standing at 5"8 inches, and pretty. I had a rounded face, soft brown hair, and green eyes. To the unmarried men in Kattegat, I was beautiful. I was so beautiful that Ragnar himself once said that his son, Bjorn, would marry me when we were of age. I, however, had other plans. This is my story.

I woke up one morning to horns blaring in the distance. I rolled out of bed, wrapped a cloak around my naked form, and poked my head out. When I saw a woman run past me, I stopped her and asked, "Pardon me, but what's happening?"

The woman, I didn't know her name, answered, "Ragnar and his men are back from the West!"

I smiled and shut my front door, going to my closet and grabbing my favorite blue dress. When I was satisfied with how I looked, I put my cloak back on and ran to the docs. I stopped behind Laegertha, one of my friends, and said, "It's nice that they're finally home, isn't it? Now Ragnar can warm your bed again."

She chuckled and said, "Shh, Tora! The children are present!"

"Ah, they're fine. It isn't like they haven't heard you both making passionate love every night."

Laegertha nodded as Bjorn said, "Father's disembarking!"

She held his shoulder and I watched that incoming boats closely. When Rollo, Ragnar's brother, stepped out, I waved and smiled my greetings. He smiled, walked over to me, and said, "Tora. You're looking well."

"Thank you, Rollo. You look good as well." I then saw Ragnar next to him and said, "Both of you do."

Ragnar said, "You flatter us with your words, Tora. We all know that it's you who has the gods' blessing."

I smiled and then frowned when I saw a rope. I followed it to the other end and saw a bunch of men tied together, one of them staring at me. I asked Ragnar, "Who're these?"

Ragnar looked at the man and answered, "They were priests from where we raided. I brought them back as slaves. Though," he tugged on the rope, one man stood, and he said, "only one survived the long journey back unharmed."

I nodded as Ragnar jerked the rope again, forcing the priest forward. He stumbled to a stop in front of me. I smiled and asked, "What's your name?"

The priest stuttered, "A-Athelstan."

I smiled and said, "I'm Tora, daughter of Leif. It's a pleasure to meet you, Athelstan."

He didn't respond right away, which I thought odd. Rollo and Ragnar snickered and Ragnar yanked Athelstan's chains. He stumbled forward as Leif, my father, asked, "Why're you talking to this priest, Tora? Shouldn't you be working our horses?"

I nodded and Ragnar said, "Don't push her too much, Leif. This priest is my present to Tora to help her on your farm." Athelstan stared at me, and Ragnar asked, "What do you think, priest?"

He didn't answer, and I said, "I thank you, Ragnar, for giving Athelstan to our family. I don't know how to thank you properly."

"You can thank Ragnar by giving him my thanks, Tora," someone said behind us. Laegertha and I slowly turned around and saw Earl Haraldson walking toward us with his wife, Siggy, following close behind.

When he stopped in front of us, I said, "Earl Haraldson, you grace us with your presence."

He nodded and Ragnar handed me Athelstan's rope. I held it tightly and Leif followed Ragnar and the Earl to the Hall. I turned to Athelstan and studied the rope around his neck. Bjorn asked, "What're you thinking of doing, Tora?"

I answered, "Athelstan doesn't need to be tied up anymore, as long as he doesn't run away."

Athelstan's POV

I stared at this Viking woman, Tora, and wondered how to react to her. She trusted me and she just met me? I continued staring at her as the boy and she talked about how to handle me. I then said, "I won't run."

Tora smiled and said, "See, Bjorn. Athelstan won't run away." She then grabbed the rope closest to my neck and I flinched away. Tora stared at me and soothingly said, "It's alright. I won't hurt you."

I stared at her as she undid the fastening around my neck. When the rope was free, I rubbed the ligatures and said, "Thank you, Tora."

She smiled and answered, "It's not a problem." She then turned and yelled, "Gyda! Come meet my new friend!"

A girl of about twelve or thirteen years scurried over. She stared at me and asked, "Who's the priest?"

I didn't answer the girl, Gyda. Tora answered, "He's Athelstan. Your father gave him to me."

Gyda looked at me and I hesitantly waved to her. She continued staring as I said, "Hello, Gyda."

"He knows our language!" Gyda yelled.

Tora giggled and I heard angels. Her laugh was magical. I said, "I met some of your people while in Charlemagne's court. They taught us."

Tora then asked, "Will you teach me your language?"

She looked rather happy to be learning my language, which made my heart soar. I nodded and said, "I'd be delighted to teach you. In turn, I ask you that you help me practice and master your language."

She nodded and said, "Then we'd better get started." She then turned to Gyda and the boy, Bjorn, and said, "I'm taking Athelstan back to my house. See you at the banquet."

Tora's POV

I didn't give Bjorn and Gyda time to answer as Athelstan and I walked back to my farm. When we arrived, I opened the front door and said, "It's not much, but it's home."

He looked around and said, "It's absolutely brilliant, Tora."

I smiled as we walked inside my small house and into my kitchen. Athelstan sat down at the small dining room table and carefully watched me prepare dinner. I blushed slightly and said, "You could help."

Athelstan stood up and joined me. As we cut vegetables, he asked, "When should we begin your Saxon lessons?"

I answered him in the Viking language, and Athelstan stared at me. I chuckled and translated, "We just started."

"Well then, here's how you say 'Hello'."

He then said "Hello" in Saxon, which I repeated very slowly. After about ten times of repeating "Hello," I smiled and said, "This is pretty fun!"

Athelstan chuckled and said, "You're truly amazing at Saxon, Tora."

That had me blushing up a storm. True, I've had men tell me that I'm amazing, and I normally brush it off. But when Athelstan told me that, my heart sped up. As we both cooked, ate and talked, I learned something very valuable. I didn't want to lose Athelstan, and I knew he didn't want to lose me.

When I awoke the next morning, Athelstan was sitting on his cot staring at me. He asked me, "Do you believe in love at first sight?"

That caught me off-guard. I answered, "Yes, I do believe in love at first sight. But you're a priest, Athelstan."

He came to my bed and sat by the foot, his blue eyes never leaving mine. He then answered, "Yes, I'm a priest. But I've found that when I first saw you, God spoke to me."

"Who's God?" I asked.

He chuckled and said, "God's a being who teaches me how to live my life. And right now, He's telling me to kiss you."

That got my blushing and my heart racing. I said, "Then don't let me or God stop you." Athelstan smiled, cupped my cheeks, and we kissed. Freya be damned, I didn't know what would happen if this got out to the rest of Kattegat. But I knew that both the gods and Athelstan's God would keep us together through thick and thin.