Jerome ValeskaxReader Request for @Satsujins-life

This request is for the lovely @Satsujins-life, I hope you like it! And I have never written an imagine for Jerome or anyone from Gotham, so if I get things wrong with the story or his personality, then do pardon me. And this will contain some mild swearing at points, though there is fluff in spades. Shall we get to the story? We shall!

Y/N's POV

I was walking through the barren Gotham streets when I heard sirens going off behind me; who were the police trying to catch this time? I had just gotten off of work at one of the local bars by this point, and I wanted to crawl into my bed and be a slug for the remainder of the night and day until I had to repeat the process all over again. When I rounded the corner, however, I saw a young boy about twenty-four years old holding a gun up; the business end of that gun was pointed at a child of no more than seven, by the looks of her. I growled, dropped my purse at the entrance of the alley, and yelled, "Hey! That's enough, you bastard!"

The boy with orange hair, which I didn't notice until I screamed at him, turned slowly to me and stared at me like he was gonna shoot me instead. He then laughed, and I swore that birds dive-bombed into the river behind him thinking he was their leader. He asked me, "Are you talking to me, little girl?"

I snorted and said, "Little? I'm probably the same age as you! And I sure as hell wouldn't want to shoot a little girl, so you can put that gun down away from her or shoot me instead." I was walking over to them as I talked, and it wasn't until I stood in front of the girl that I got a good look at Mister Shooter. I'd seen him before, and for the life of me, I couldn't think of where or when I'd seen him. I held my hands out open and said again, "Back away from her."

He stared at me, something in his eyes telling me that he knew me. We stared at each other for about ten minutes before the boy asked me, "Y-Y/N? Is that you?"

I nodded and continued staring at him. His voice also sounded familiar, but I couldn't remember where I knew him or how he knew me, for that matter. As I moved closer to him, it became clearer who he was; it was Jerome Valeska, one of my childhood best friends turned secret crush. What was he doing? I smiled slightly, but kept my hands up, and said, "I won't hug you, Jerome Valeska until you put that gun away." When he lowered the gun, I finally said, "Now, you can hug me."

Jerome's POV

I couldn't believe it; Y/N was alive! And she was right here in front of me, too! The gun and girl were the last two things on my mind at that moment. I let the gun fall out of my hands as I wrapped her into my arms tightly. I buried my face in her h/c hair and whispered, "I can't believe it, you're here!"

She sighed and said, "I thought you'd died in Arkham when they took you away, Jerome. You said so yourself that they wouldn't let you leave the asylum alive." When Y/N pulled away and cupped my face, I registered the tears in her eyes. She let out a happy sob and said, "But you're here. You're here in my arms again!"

I cupped her face and whispered, "Baby girl, I'd never leave you for anything in the world. Arkham Asylum can never take me away from you." The little girl started giggling, and I told her while still looking at Y/N, "Run along, girly, before I change my mind and shoot you dead." She ran off, and I cackled while holding Y/N tightly; she was staring at me like I'd grown another head. I put her at arm's length and asked, "What? What'd I do?"

"Y-You'd kill a little girl?" was her only response. When I continued staring at her, Y/N said again, "You would kill a little girl without any thought for what her parents would feel if she died, Jerome!"

At her outburst, I let Y/N go and she ran back to her stuff like I was the one who shot her; what had I done apart from being me? I moved to walk closer to her, but Y/N started backing away from me, keeping her beautiful e/c eyes on me the entire time. I held my open hands out to her and said, "It's alright, honey. It's me, Jerome. I promise I won't kill you."

I saw a tear escape her eyes and she said, "How do I know that, Jerome? Huh? You were different when you went into Arkham; nicer, sweeter, gentler, loving. Now you're a killer, and I can't take this change in you. I just can't!" When I tried to grab her shaking arm, she jerked it away and yelled, "Don't fucking touch me, Jerome Valeska! Don't you dare fucking touch me!"

Y/N's POV

At hearing how blunt Jerome was about nearly killing a child, I lost it on him and yelled, "Don't fucking touch me, Jerome Valeska! Don't you dare fucking touch me!"

He put his hand down and didn't say a word to me as I stared daggers at him; it's kinda safe to say at this point that I wanted him to burn in hell for trying to kill a child, but I digress. Jerome stood a mere ten feet away from me and he asked, "W-What's wrong, Y/N? Did I do something?" It was then that I noticed he was crying as he spoke.

I sighed, picked up my purse from where I'd dropped it, and said, "You did nothing wrong, Jerome. It was what Arkham did to you that has me all aflutter with hatred. How could they take the boy that I fell in love with in high school and turn him into a fucking monster capable of killing children willy nilly if they piss him off? How, Jerome, how?!"

When he put his hands on my shaking arms, I didn't move away; I didn't have the energy to move away from him. He cupped my face, forcing my eyes to look into his own, and he said, "I'm still the same Jerome that you knew from back in high school, but I don't know where he is anymore. I need your help to bring that version of myself back out again." My heart ached for Jerome as he rested his forehead on my own. He then asked me with his eyes closed, "Can you help me find that part of me again?"

I nodded and answered, "Of course, Jerome. I love you too much to lose you to whatever thing those doctors at the Asylum are turning you into." He chuckled and I giggled as he kissed my nose. When he pulled away, I looked into his eyes and said, "I meant what I said earlier, Jerome. I love you so much."

He pecked my lips and mumbled against them, "And I love you too, Y/N Y/L/N. So fucking much." I smiled and gently planted my lips back onto his in a tender kiss; it was like we were two pieces of a puzzle that finally came together. When we pulled away, I continued smiling like a little kid who'd just gotten her favorite toy back after years of missing it. True, I didn't know where our story went from here, but I did know one crucial thing. I was going to help Jerome Valeska get his shit together because I loved him with every fiber of my being, and I'd stand beside my man through thick and thin, hell or high water.