Sam Merlotte x Female Reader Oneshot

This one-shot was requested by my brain to make a reality, I hope you enjoy it! There will be more to come in this book very soon, so stay tuned for them! Now, I'm gonna shut up, and let's get to the story!

Y/N's POV

I sighed while working at Merlotte's Bar and Grille one fine Friday night in Bon Temps, Louisiana. The usual loud customers were talking smack and I muttered from behind the vacant bar, "This day couldn't get any worse."

"Why? What happened?" my fellow bartender and friend, Tara Thornton., asked me while helping me clean some used bar glasses.

I pointed to one of the booths and answered, "The undead have come to Merlotte's."

Just as Tara was about to speak, Sam Merlotte, the bar's owner, said, "It appears so. And he looks almost normal." I cocked an eyebrow at him and he said, "It's the truth, Y/N."

"I know that, but do you have to egg Sookie on?" I countered while pointing to where Sookie currently was. The vampire was talking with her as if they were either best friends or lovers. I put the glass I'd been cleaning down and growled, "I'll be outside. Don't send Sookie or anyone after me."

Tara and Sam were about to try and stop me, but I was already outside behind the bar. My brain was racing a mile a minute and I had no clue how to attempt to broach the subject of vampires with Sam, let alone Sookie! This was no how I wanted my night to go.

I didn't know someone had followed me outside until I heard, "Hey, Y/N. You alright?"

I wiped the falling tears away so he wouldn't see them and answered, "No, Sam. I'm not Ok. And if you were smart, you'd leave me alone." I hated when people saw me crying, especially men since they made fun of me. The fact that Sam was out here told me he probably wanted to make fun of me.

Sam, instead, asked me, "Why're you out here? Do you need to talk about what you're feeling?" Although I wanted to cuss him out and tell him that no, I didn't want to talk about it, something inside me snapped. Tears ran down my face and my body started shaking; what the hell is going on?! I hated being seen as weak by anyone, but Sam said while holding my shoulders, "It's alright, Y/N. I'm here."

I sniffled, "I-I hate being seen as weak at all. And yet, you're seeing me cry my eyes out over a dead body in our bar staring at Sookie like he wants to fucking eat her!" Even when I tried to stop them, the tears kept coming. This was bad, and I didn't like it one bit.

Sam caressed my hair and asked me, "Why do you hate vampires so much, Y/N?" As my brain registered what he asked, my heart stopped and my blood curdled in my veins. Sam never should've asked me that. He wouldn't like the answer I gave him, that much I knew. Sensing my hesitation, Sam pulled me out of his chest and asked again, "What's wrong, chérie? Did I say something bad?"

I answered, "You didn't say anything wrong, Sam. But you also won't like my answer." I watched his eyebrows head to his hairline as my heart skipped a beat; why was I attracted to this man? Oh right, he was kind and saw me for me. My heart kept ramming against my ribcage due to nerves. Sam kept staring at me while I composed myself and I stated as calmly as I could, "A vampire murdered my family right in front of me."

Sam stopped moving for a moment and I got scared that I'd somehow made him think less of me. However, Sam's arms tightened around my waist, pulled me into his chest, and whispered into my hair, "I'll protect you, Y/N. You have my word as a Merlotte." A huge blush painted its way across my face and I didn't hear what Sam said next on account of my ringing ears. When I felt Sam's lips on my collarbone, the fading blush roared to life again. Sam pulled his head out of my collarbone, cupped my face so we looked at each other, and whispered, "I love you so much, Y/N Y/L/N."

If my heart was beating before, it stopped doing so then. I knew Sam had feelings for Sookie; he was never subtle about them anytime she was around. But me?! He actually loved me?! My mind was running a marathon and my heart had already made its final decision. The only issue I had was how to tell him how I felt about him. I smiled, caressed his nape, and whispered while pressing our foreheads together, "I love you too, Sam Merlotte."

Sam smiled at me and wiped some more falling tears from my cheeks. WHen did I start crying again? I didn't know, but I did know that I was certainly in heaven. The man I'd been crushing on finally noticed me and reciprocated my feelings! I giggled when Sam made a funny face to cheer me up. When I calmed down, Sam smiled and asked, "Want to go back inside or stay out here?"

I answered, "I'd like to stay out here for a little while longer. You can go back inside and keep working." I detangled myself from Sam and sat on a nearby tree stump. I thought Sam would go back into the bar and keep working, but he sat next to me and bumped our shoulders together. I blushed despite myself and asked him, "Is there a specific reason why you're out here with me?"

He chuckled and answered, "I want to make sure you're truly alright before I went back inside. I also don't want to leave you alone when there's a vampire around. I love you too much to lose you." I kissed his cheek and then winced when crashing and swearing sounded from inside the kitchen. I giggled and Sam said while chuckling, "And that's our cue, unfortunately."

I nodded, stood up, and held my hand out to him while asking, "Ready?" Sam smiled at me, nodded while taking my hand, and squeezed it as we headed into the bar. I had no clue what would happen when I went back to serve food. But I did know that as long as I had Sam with me, I could do anything.