Chapter 14 Class in Session

Kyra's pov

Master Ludwigg gave me another book.

"Read this one today, write down the words you don't understand. I will quiz you later on them, don't think you can slack off because he is here."

He pointed at Valentine.

"I know there are plenty of words in there you don't understand yet."

I opened my notebook, picked up my pen and got to reading the book.
This one was about Medusa, you could say a lot about his teaching methods but at least he picked interesting books for me.
I liked old mythological stories.
Though by now, with all I had seen so far, I started to wonder to what point they were only mythological and where it started to become actual history.

Every now and then I listened in on what master Ludwigg was discussing with Valentine.
The more time passed, the more irritated master Ludwigg became.

"By the heavens, are you just trying to annoy me! I hate to say it but you should take an example of that pet. She is a better student than you are."

I looked up from the corner of my eye, did he just compliment me?

"If you don't start taking this serious, I'm going to strap you to the table and teach you the same way I teach her. That seems to do wonders."

"Pff...What's so important about history, it's all in the past anyway."

Valentine looked uninterested.

"As the next Lord in line you need to know and learn from it so you can make good decisions in similar situations."

Master Ludwigg crossed his arms.

"Easy for you to say, you're old enough to have lived through most of written history anyway."

Valentine scoffed and wanted to push the book to the side, but master Ludwigg smashed his hand with his pointer stick.

"Aaaw, motherf-."

Valentine swallowed the last part of that word when he glared at master Ludwigg, apparently a bit scared of the look he was getting back.

"Should I remind you that your parents gave me permission to do everything in my capabilities to teach you the things you should know."

Master Ludwigg looked threatening, the look on Valentine's face was priceless.

He must have never been treated like that before.
For me it was nice to see a vampire on the wrong side of that stick for once, though I did feel a bit sorry for Valentine.
He wasn't so bad, even though he was a very smug vampire.

The next couple of days in class were pretty much the same.
Master Ludwigg's attention went to Valentine and he left me alone to read books so I could find new words to learn.

Master Ludwigg was deep in another discussion with Valentine when he gave me a new book to read.
I was surprised when I looked at the cover and the title.
The book seemed to be about something that happened at the crusades, but on the front cover was a painted picture that I had seen before in the castle.
I didn't want to bother master Ludwigg with questions about the book because Valentine was getting on his nerves again, so I wanted to stay off his radar for now.
Reading the book I got more and more surprised, it was about lord Radu's parents and how they were killed by crusaders.
That took me by surprise, I mean with how fast and strong the lord and the others were I didn't think a human would stand a chance.
I looked at the timeline and started calculating.
That must mean Lord Radu is at least a 1000 years old, most likely even older.

"What are you reading?"

Master Ludwigg leaned over me to pick up the book.

"That's the wrong book. Valentine, do you have a book in your stack about the discovery of the Inca? Thanks to your nonsense I mixed up the books."