Chapter 43 Unlocked Doors

Kyra's pov

Vasile had told me it was better if I stayed in my room the next couple of days.
Just until the worst of my blood-lust had subsided.
That way I wouldn't be triggered the whole time.
It was odd being in my room with the door unlocked, I kept feeling the need to check if the door really opened.
I also found out he wasn't kidding about having me guarded 24/7.
Every time I opened the door to check the lock, Mihai would still be standing there, at the bottom of the stairs.

After check number seven he turned around and looked up.

"What are you doing? If you're thirsty and want a drink I can have some blood delivered to you."

"No I'm good. I had my fill when mast... ehm... the lord brought me to my room."

"Still odd for you to call him by his first name?"

Mihai walked up the stairs to my room and sat down on the arm chair.
I sat down on side of my bed, arms leaning on either side watching the open door of my room.

"Everything is odd, it was odd being a pet and now this... If odd is even the right term to call this.
How did you deal with this? With being turned?"

Mihai sighed deeply and looked up the ceiling.

"How did I deal with it...? Mmm... it were different times. Humans were more god fearing back then. I guess I just went with the flow. Before I was turned, I lived on the streets. I was taking in by someone promising me work, but he sold me to what later turned out to be a vampire. I didn't care, he gave me food, clothes and a room to sleep in, which was more than I was used too. All I had to do was clean his house, and sometimes he drank my blood. One time he drank too much by accident and nearly killed me, because that wasn't his intention he tried to turn me to save me and succeeded. I don't remember having any issues with that, that man was like god to me..."

He stopped talking, I could see a hint of tears in his eyes.

"What happened to him?"

Mihai looked away.

"He was killed by hunters while trying to save me... in the end the lord saved me that day and took me in."

I wanted to ask more questions but I had never seen Mihai like this, vulnerable almost.
It seemed inappropriate to ask more.

"Sorry to hear that..."

Mihai looked up again.

"It's okay little kitten, it happened so long ago that I hardly remember what he looked like. Besides I serve lord Radu now."

I could see his features soften up as he said that.
He perked up as he turned his attention back on me.

"So what happened in between the time you escaped and us finding you again?"

"Oh nothing special... just my luck.
I fell in a river and nearly drowned...
I ran in the wrong people... Was used as bait to lure you guys out. Almost died again thanks to those arrows that hit me..."

I chuckled a bit sarcastically as I focused on the open door again.

"You think my bad luck streak would end there but no, there was still more...
I had to turn into one of you guys..."

I glanced at Mihai from the corner of my eye after hearing him chuckle a bit, but continued to talk.

"After the two of you left me for dead, I woke up not knowing what was going on. It started to dawn on me when I felt the urge to drink blood from a fresh corpse. O, and later I found two kids being attacked by a wolf, which I killed with my bare hands and sucked dry on instincts alone. That still grosses me out.
Somehow those kids convinced me to help them get home, where I was drugged by their parents and given back to the lord.
And now I'm suppose to call the man that murdered my family, dad..."