Chapter 16 Happy Birthday?

Kyra's pov

"Take her to her room, I'll deal with her later."

Was all lord Radu said when we got out of the car.
Mihai silently attached a leash to my collar and pulled me along with him.
I didn't dare to look up and just walked after him to my room.
Mihai closed the door and left, I sat down on my bed and pulled the cushion up against my belly in an attempt to comfort myself.

I got ten lashes the last time I was out of my room without permission, and I got no further than the hallway at that point.
What was he going to do, now that I was out almost all night?
I looked at my new watch... 5.30 in the morning... I let out a deep sigh and shook my head, I was in so much trouble.

About an hour later, Lord Radu entered my room.

"I... I'm sorry, I didn't know until we were in the car that he didn't ask permission."

I looked at the pillow while visibly trembling in fear.

"I know, Valentine told me everything. I'm not angry at you."

He sat down on my bed.

"The jewelry he got you looks nice on you."

He seemed a bit uncomfortable as he tried to lighten the mood.
It made me feel like I had to say something to break the tension.

"I didn't expect it but we had a lot of fun dancing. I liked the music there."

I was blushing a bit while I softly spoke that out.

"I had never been to a dance club before."

Lord Radu looked up.

"Really? At your age? I thought all kids this day and age go out at age 14."

I smiled sadly.

"I never had the time or money for that. I was always working to help out my parents. All the money I earned was to help pay the bills..."

"Makes sense..."

Lord Radu seemed to be pondering about something.

"Today you can take a day off from lessons because it's your birthday and you had a long night. Get some sleep and I'll have Sarah pick you up by the end of the morning."

Lord Radu got up and gently petted my head.

"Happy Birthday."

He quickly left the room.
I removed the jewelry and left it on my nightstand, relieved that I wasn't being punished, I fell asleep.

~~~

Sarah's pov

"Sarah, can you make a birthday cake before noon?!"

I looked up surprised at Vasile, who just ran into the kitchen while I was busy preparing for breakfast.

"Of course my lord. Who is it for?"

"I just found out Kyra turned 18 today."

There was a hint of panic on his face, this is new...
He never cared for this kind of stuff before.
I know he's starting to grow fond of Kyra... but a birthday cake?
It made me chuckle softly, making him sulk a bit like when he was still a kid.

"Don't laugh. Valentine took her to the club last night and bought her all kinds of jewelry. Of course he only found out later she happened to turn 18, but still. Can't have that brat give her gifts and not do anything myself. She's mine after all."

"I'll make sure to make something she'll like. So, what will you give her as a present, my lord?"

His eyes grew wider at my question.
I could see him starting to panic and I knew just why.
Knowing Valentine he spent a lot on the jewelry and Vasile doesn't want to lose to that.
Kyra doesn't really care about jewelry, but I do know one thing she would like.