Chapter 20 Friends?

Kyra's pov

One cloud... two clouds... three clouds...
I was laying on my back in the grass.
Master was out today with Mihai to some unknown location.
That was fine by me, I didn't care where he went, and the longer he was away the better it was for me.
I could enjoy some peace and quiet for a change, no embarrassing stuff I was forced to do.
So ya, he can stay away as long as he likes.

Although with Valentine still around, it is hardly ever quiet, he is somewhat of a goofball at times.
I like him, he's fun to be around.
Unfortunately for him he can only rarely escape master Ludwigg's attention if he has to follow his lessons, so I don't see him very often outside classes.

I tilted my head a bit backwards, Sarah was still busy hanging up the laundry.
She is very particular about how she wants to hang it, so I wasn't allowed to help, leaving me with nothing to do but enjoy the sun on this lovely day.

I looked at the tree near the stone fence again and sighed.
So close but still so far away.
Sarah may be nice to me but even she will give me hell if I try to make a run for it under her watch.
And I know she's watching, she may look busy, but if I were to sit up now, her gaze would be fixated on me until she knew what my intentions were.

"Yo, what's up? Are you bored now Vasile is out?"

Valentine sat down next to me in the grass.

"I was enjoying some peace and quiet until you showed up. Did you escape master Ludwigg's clutches or are your lessons over for the day?"

I grinned a little cheekily as I sat up to face him.

"Nah, he had other stuff to do. He told me to study on my own, so of course I took off. The weather is too nice to stay inside."

Valentine laughed, I shook my head.

"Dumb ass, you know you'll pay for that if he finds out."

Valentine didn't respond to that but just laughed it off a bit.

"So where did Vasile go off to anyway? It sounded like something important judging by the conversation he had with Mihai this morning."

I just shrugged.

"He didn't tell me and I didn't ask. To be frank, I don't even care. I hope he stays away forever."

"That sounds a bit spiteful, you really hate him that much?"

Valentine seemed a bit surprised about that.

"I take it he didn't tell you how and why I became his pet?"

I scoffed while I gave him a "isn't it obvious I wouldn't like him" look.

"Well, usually if us "non" humans want a human for a pet we buy one at the black market. But you don't act like you came from there. You're a lot more lively than them."

"There is a market for humans???!"

I was a bit shocked to hear that.

"Despite what you may think, that market is run by humans. Of course they don't know we're not humans, most humans sold there are sex slaves for other rich humans. The people there don't care what you do with your purchase, as long as you pay up."

"Gross."

I was appalled by what he told me.

"Yeah, I don't get it either. It's not really my thing. I never had a human as a pet, and I guess I never will."

Valentine laid down in the grass, his arms under his head while he stared at the sky.

"Then why did you say you wanted to get one the first time we met?"