Chapter 38 What Happened?

Kyra's pov

Suddenly I woke up, I looked around.
There was nobody around and it was pitch black.
As I looked up I could see the stars, so many beautiful stars.
I was still laying on the ground. I stayed like that for a while, enjoying the sounds of the night.
O how I've missed that.
And here it was even more tranquil than the times I was driving home from work, all the animals, all those tempting heartbeats...

I sat up straight.
Hold on...
What am I thinking?
Heartbeats?
Why am I hearing heartbeats?

I looked around to pinpoint where the sounds came from.
There, I could see it, a little brown rabbit near the tree line.
As I concentrated, it's fast beating heart became more and more clear for me to hear.
No... this is impossible.
What is going on?
Why can I hear this?
Wait a minute, why can I even see that rabbit?
It's the middle of the night.
I shouldn't be able to see a damn thing.
And... why am I not in pain anymore?

I looked down at the places the arrows had been.
Nothing...
Not even a wound left, just the bloodstains on my pajama telling me what had happened.

I got up, I need to find water or something.
I'm so thirsty.
The pick-up truck... maybe those idiots left something in there to drink.
It's not like they need it anymore.
They are all dead now.

Mmm?
What is that smell?
I followed my nose and walked up to one of the corpses on the floor.
Wait... he's not dead yet, I can hear a faint heartbeat.
I stared at the man, his heart was beating slower and slower as the seconds passed until it stopped.

The thing that disturbed me wasn't that he just died in front of me or the amount of blood that he was laying in.
It was my desire to drink it, that's what startled me.
I turned around and ran into the woods.
Gotta get out of here, away from all the noises and those tempting smells.

This isn't happening, it's not real, it just can't be real.

I could hear water running, a river!
It didn't take me long to find it, I fell to my knees at the riverside and frantically started to drink the water, only to puke it out the very next second.

"No, no, no, nooooooo! WHAAAAAAAA! This isn't happening! No! WAKE UP! Just wake up..."

I slapped myself in the face.
Clenching my teeth I grabbed a stone, frustrated I threw it against a tree.

"No, I won't accept this." I whispered to myself. This just isn't happening, he didn't bite me, I'm just fine. I just need to drink slower, anyone would puke drinking so fast right?

Slowly I made a cup with my hands and tried to drink some water again. It stayed down a few seconds longer but in the end I started to throw up again.

Defeated, I stared at the ground.
Sooooo thirsty... but I can't drink water right now.
Why?
The lord could drink anything, I've seen him drink tea, coffee, water, alcohol and what not...
Why can't I?
What should I do now?
I don't want this...

The sounds of heartbeats slow and fast started to find my advanced hearing again.
My body wasn't agreeing with my mind, it was almost as if it was looking for food on its own.
It didn't take me any effort to locate a young fawn a little up ahead.
It must be only a few days old, it was hidden in the bushes.
So tempting... I got up without thinking.
Slowly I prowled down wind, closer and closer until I was within striking distance.
It was lying there, so peacefully, so tasty... I came to my senses as soon as I noticed I was drooling.

"NO!"

My sudden scream startled the fawn and it bolted.
I just stayed where I was, watching as it ran, I turned around and started to walk in no particular direction.
I kept walking, keeping my ears covered with my hands in an attempt to block out the noises.