Uncomfortable pt1

It was a nice sunny day in Gotham, so it meant that the world was going to end or Batman learned how to smile.

Damian was suffering the company of his two older brothers, with no Dick because he had a conference in Bludhaven. Tim and Jason were arguing about who would watch Damian as neither wanted to do it.

"I watched him last time!"

"That was eight months ago, it's your turn today," Tim reasoned.

Jason was having none of that. He took his keys off the kitchen table and intended to step out and drive off until Damian spoke up.

"How weak, can't even take care of one independent child who does not require any supervision. And not in the literal sense."

Tim and Jason both bristled at his words and had an argument with each other through eye contact. Damian sat back with a sharp frown, but that wasn't new to them.

He's your brother!

He's yours too!

I don't want to babysit some little brat again when he's the obnoxious type.

Too bad, I have something else to do.

If you're not doing Stephanie then your excuse is invalid.

Tim let out a huff raising his hands up in exasperation, "Fine, I'll watch him but you owe me a favour."

Jason scoffed, "I'd prefer that," and then he walked out.

Damian watched this happen so he sat back and pet Alfred the cat.

"I'll be in the Cave, don't kill anyone or start a fire."

And then there was only Damian left in the room if you were counting the human occupants. He might have looked calm but inside he was a mess.

Was it really that unbearable to be in his company? He knew and was mean on purpose when he first came here as it was his defense mechanism to change. But now, it was his general defense mechanism from everyone's dislike and judgment. They didn't like him, they made it very clear. But he was a prideful child and he couldn't take that lying down. But it was becoming harder and harder for him to remain unchanged and unfeeling to their sharp words and behavior.

"Why can't they try to like me, am I so horrible to them that they'd rather face the Joker than me."

Damian was uncomfortable in what was supposed to be his own home.

And no one seemed to notice.

And that was a problem.

Clark Kent did not usually let his mind, and superhearing, wander but he couldn't help himself. He was sitting through a very boring and long pharmaceutical company's newest medication release conference. He was there representing the Daily Planet since the usual journalist who takes these assignments was sick that day. He just needed to record the whole conference and ask a few prepared questions by his co-worker, but his mind wandered.

Now, just because he respected Bruce as a coworker didn't mean he wouldn't poke his nose in his issue of bad parenting. It was even more important because Damian was vulnerable to the emotional harm from those who are supposed to be the good guys, the heroes, so if heroes couldn't stand him who could?

Clark wouldn't let Damian go down that potentially dark road, even if there was still a chance of change. Right after the conference and his day at work, Clark put on his suit and went to Gotham. But he was stealthy about it, for once, and knocked quietly on Damian's door.