Bruce Wayne x Alchemist

Mae laughed at the confused faces of the protegees as they toured the Watch Tower and passed her workroom. Zatanna was the only one who had any inkling of what all the herbs, chemicals and stones were for. Mae was the resident magical person at the Watch Tower and was responsible for being an advisor and enforcer of the magical community. 

"What's this place, a witch's lair?" Kid Flash sneer.

"I don't know, the witch who lives here might try to cook us in her oven," Robin joked.

Dick knew who she was and what she did so he was having fun watching the confusion of his peers. Aqualad looked intrigued but wary of her unknown jars and pots fillig up all her shelves. They were either finished projects that had already reacted or prepared for whenever Mae needed them. Mae was an alchemist, but not the turn stone to gold one that everyone assumed she was. Those were transmutters and they didn't really exist or actually work. 

Alchemy was the use of natural elements, plants or minerals to create a reaction with the alchemist's magic as a catalyst for the reaction. Certain mixes or combination of ingredients gave different results. An example of how Mae's power worked is take chamomile tea. Normally, it only calmed someone's nerves or body down, but in her hands, Mae enhanced its power into a sedative strong enough to down even Superman. She had joined the League because they witnessed her power first hand when Mae faught Felix Faust alone and won. She was protecting the small town she had lived in from being destroyed by one of his monsters.

"If Nightingale would come out and introduce herself, you'll understand what this room is," Flash called.

"Must I?"

The kids looked around since her voice didn't come from one point in the room, but everywhere. Even Barry was confused.

"These kids aren't like the normal kids, they're the League's protegees and might be working with us on some missions."

"Alright."

Mae reluctantly got out from up in the rafters that she choose this room exactly for and dropped down on them. Everyone but Dick jumped and got into defensive positions but only saw a very tall figure in a blue robe. 

"I am Nightingale, practitioner of the mystical art of alchemy hence my need of various ingredients for my spells."

The kids watched her in awe as she flared out her sleeves and sparks flew.

"Heed my warning. Lead stays lead and gold as a precious element, transmutation does not exist and it is not in my skill set."

They couldn't see it, but Mae was smiling and trying to hold in her laughter until she failed and cackled. Dick cracked too and was cackling along with her as she slipped off her hood to show her bronze toned skin. Mae's grey eyes were a light grey in her mirth and she looked over the shocked young faces in front of her. Barry shook his head since Mae had a penchant for being too quiet or mean sometimes. Mae flipped her long midnight blue braid over her shoulder to snap the children out of their shock.

"Robin, how come you're so familiar with her?" Zatanna asked.

"She sometimes watches me when Batman is too busy," was his cryptic reply.

He couldn't answer that she dated Bruce and pratically lived at the manor with the three of them as well. Bruce and Mae agreed that their relationship didn't need to go public, even amongst the League, as they were both private people.

"I've never met an alchemist before," Zatanna started, "I heard from my father that they died out as magic became better understood."

"I shouldn't exist then, should I?" Mae retorted.