Dick Grayson(YJ) x Atlantis reader

Red was all you could see, fading slowly then thickening as more blood spilled from your father's throat. He was choking without his fins and it was the worst death to give an Atlantean. His eyes pleaded with you to run from the strange men in your home. It wasn't until they started cutting up his tail that you torpedoed out of the house. You were a special race of Atlantean that legend says hailed from dragons who adapted to the sea. You were mostly humanoid, but had scales like snake skin and a long tail. Draigos also varied in colour so you were mainly (fav colour) with it gradating to (2nd fav colour) at the ends of your hands, feet, tail and ears. Other than that you looked like any other Atlantean with gills and fins. 

"Get her, her tail is worth more than the old man's!"

You might have been young, only sixteen, but you had mastered the skills of your people. Draigos had magic similar to Atlantean's but far stronger than theirs was and a special few could use the healing gifts. You were an average Draigo, but stronger than an Atlantean with those healing gifts. You created a funnel, strong and sure, to propel you faster than the ones chasing you. It took a few miles, but you eventually lost them. You were tired, but couldn't stop until you made it to safety. Your tribe of Draigos was one of the last and there was probably more men preying on the others in your tribe. You had to make it to the capital, warn the king of what happened at the very least. 

"Dragons fly through the ocean too," you muttered your people's mantra as a reminder that you were strong. 

Poseidonis came into view a few hours later when you were about to exhaust all your energy. You were seen from far away by the guards and they sent an escort to lead you to the palace. You were panting as you sat on the dolphin behind a guard who looked at you sympathetically. You finally stopped panting as you reached the palace and King Arthur who was waiting for you. Aqualad or Kaldur'ham was also waiting, but as a silent spectator. 

"What happened to you young one?" he asked as he helped you down.

It was a habit of children in your tribe to hold one's tail as comfort, but you needed all the comfort you could get. So you stood in front of your king holding your tail, shaking.

"My tribe was attacked, Your Majesty, I watched them kill my father before my eyes. They were after our tails King Arthur, they no doubt wanted the miracle properties of it," you explained.

"Y/n, you mean to tell me F/n is dead?"

King Arthur was in distress because your father had been one of his best friends for decades and helped gain him the favour of the Draigos during his reign. He knew you well, so that's how he knew your name without you speaking it, he'd known you since you were a baby.

"Yes," your voice cracked, "He's gone."

You finally let it hit you, that your goofy and compassionate father would never tell you the story of flying dragons or tuck you in again. You felt no shame for breaking down in front of your king, he was basically an uncle to you. King Arthur pulled you into a hug and let you cry your heartbreak out.

"You're safe now young one, rest and heal now, you have all the time you need dear Y/n."

You were graciously offered a suite at the palace as you grieved, but you were also offered classes at the Conservatory of Sorcery to keep your skills strong. It helped distract you and you made some friends, but you were getting restless. You needed a job or a mission to accomplish because you felt you had no purpose. Besides, you couldn't stay under the care of Atlantis' rulers when they had a young son to look after. You were healing a fellow student after a sparring accident when Kaldur'ham or Kaldur to his friends came up to you.

"Y/n, it's been a while since we've seen each other."

You finished with the student and swam closer to your old friend and gave him a hug.