Jason Todd x reader

This request was made by @angel_from_hell2406 and it took me a bit longer to write it since I was busy lately. Sorry it's shorter than I'm used to writing, but I guess it's short but sweet.

~~~~~~~

"Jason have you dropped off the paperwork?"

You looked up from your magazine to look at Jason as he walked into the door. He stretched out then plopped his butt on the couch beside you.

"Yeah, after I knocked out Riddler at the Centre Bank. Anyways, we've done all this paperwork for adoption, but we've never talked about what kid to get."

You snorted, "yes, make it sound like we're choosing what to have got dinner, won't you."

Jason gave you a look. "You know what I meant."

"We'll know when we see them, but I'd prefer we keep our minds open."

Jason nodded and thought about how many kids Bruce had adopted. He would never admit that Bruce's actions affected his idea of family, that you can make one. When you brought up kids and mentioned always wanting to adopt, Jason was all on board. He wanted to welcome a kid into their home and no matter their life, age, or race, they had a place with them.

"Can you imagine if we end up adopting a kid like you?"

Jason zoned back into the conversation but just laughed at the idea.

"I don't know if we'd survive a kid me."

You shrugged, "I dealt with you when you were younger, I am prepared for the unexpected. We're in Gotham after all."

"Honestly, they're going to make a meme of Gotham someday as the place of horror and crime, but with badass people living in it. They would call it #Gothamislit or something."

You laughed for more reasons than one at that joke [;)] and went about your lives like normal until you went to an orphanage. That day would have multiple families visiting at once to make connections with kids there. Then they would start the process of adopting the child but it was quick since they were already approved beforehand.

You and Jason came in semi-casual clothes because you wanted to look natural and not stiff. And Jason doesn't wear suits unless it's necessary.

"Do we really have to speak to literally every kid?"

"No, just the coolest."

"Isn't there a system thing that matches people together can't they do that with adoptions?"

"You want them to use dating apps to choose kids for adoption?"

"..."

"Okay, that joke might have gone too far, but it's funny thinking about it. Swipe left that kid has no two front teeth and it's not even close to Christmas time so we know how long it'll take to get new ones."

Jason hummed at your commentary as you walked around the orphanage in a group. If he wasn't so used to the streets even years after leaving them, he might have missed a tween aged girl picking your jacket pocket.

Jason grabbed their arm, but gently. The girl looked so shocked when she saw him, but it quickly turned into fear.

"Y/n-"

"Jason, chill."

You put a hand on the girls shoulder and looked at her teary eyes. The visitor's group left you guys behind without noticing. You looked serious standing there looking at the girl, until you squealed.

Jason gave you another look as you glomped yourself onto the girl in a hug.

"Jason! She's perfect!"

"What Y/n! How could you think that-"

"Remember what I said before? Doesn't this scene remind you of someone?"

"Can you imagine if we end up adopting a kid like you?"

Jason's mind went back years ago when he got the tires off the batmobile and Bruce caught him.

"Yo, I was joking when I said fate should choose the kid," Jason muttered.

But as he took a look at the girl, he felt this was more in his element. Someone who he could understand, knew how and what they thought of, and somehow the same chance he got.

The girl was so scared, but calmed down when they didn't immediately tell on her. She got more shocked as rhe conversation went on, and a look of hope was in her eyes. She was still holding back tears, so she inadvertently gave Jason the damn best puppy dog eyes. It would later spark arguments and inevitable rules to avoid abusing the use of those puppy dog eyes to get whatever she wants.

"I can't wait to tell Dick," you grinned.

Jason groaned, "he'll never let me live it down."

"At least you're not the one who got themselves pickpocketed."

"Uhm....You're not going to get me in trouble?" The girl finally spoke in a rough voice, like she wasn't used to talking.

Jason asked if he could pick her up and after she agreed he swooped her up onto his shoulders.

"You good up there?"

"Yeah!"

"We'll, It's not gonna be your last time up there, so get used to it."

You smiled at Jason's awkward but sincere answer. It seems you guys did have some help and a bit of an example when it came to choosing kids.

Not like Bruce would hate the reason, but he blamed himself for setting everyone's standards so low. You had huffed and said he found diamonds in the rough with his kids and so did you and Jason.