Highs and Lows: Batfam x Diabetic Reader

You were in the middle of changing for gym, but felt lethargic and your hands were shaking. You knew the symptoms of what you were feeling, it's happened a hundred times before. You took a chocolate bar out from your bag and ate it while walking to the teacher.

"Mr. Drike, can you give me 20 minutes to feel better before class?"

Mr. Drike looked over to you to see which student he was speaking with and nodded. He saw the chocolate bar in your hand and knew you had the situation covered. You sat near him as he split everybody up to run or perform track events.

"Y/n, are you good now?" Mr. Drike asked after 20 minutes.

You stood up and felt better so he had you start with warm ups then a 200 meter run.

"It happened again, I don't know how Y/n's not fat from how much candy they eat."

"They have a whole bag full of candy and weird looking things."

"I still don't know what that device in their pocket is, but they've played with it in class before and the teacher never took it away."

Your classmates thought they were quiet, but you could hear them. Most of them were just curious and some didn't like the special treatment you got. You couldn't help it though, it involved your health and you didn't feel the need to explain.

School went on like usual before you got back home and saw that most of your family was there. Your parents worked long hours to raise you and your sibling in a good neighbourhood. And there was also the issue of paying for all your medical supplies.

"Sweety, Mr. Drike called to let us know you had a low at school," your mom said.

You shrugged, "I didn't finish my lunch cause of homework and that's probably why."

Your dad frowned, but he was only worried about you and not actually angry.

"You have to take your diabetes seriously Y/n, or you can end up in the hospital in a coma."

You've heard them lecture you about your disease so many times, but you understood it came from worry and love. It's just all they focused on sometimes wasn't you, but how your diabetes was.

You had been diagnosed five years ago when you were 11 and almost ended up in a coma due to high blood sugars. Your diabetes was type 1 which meant it was an auto immune disease because your white blood cells decided to attack your insulin making cells and happened in young children to teenagers. You were healthy except for the need for insulin to keep your blood sugars from getting too high and to stay in a good range. Sometimes your blood sugar got too low and you had to treat it to bring it back up so your body had energy to move.

"I'll finish my lunch next time," you said before grabbing a snack and heading to your room.

Weeks passed, and nothing new happened until your family received an invitation to the Wayne Charity Gala for next month. You were all confused, but were soon informed that the Charity they were donating to this time was for the Diabetes Association of Gotham. They invited individuals with diabetes based on a raffle and you were chosen.

It was a bit fun to dress up for the event, but your Mom wouldn't stop checking if you had everything. You carried supplies for it your blood sugar was too high or low and if your insulin pump stopped working. Your insulin pump deliver insulin to you through a small tube about 6-8 mm long and a few mm wide. It was cool since you didn't need to take an injection every time you ate.

Your mom was making sure your bag was set and you finally pushed everybody out the door. "We'll be late if we don't leave now."

You knew going into this that the Gala would be fancy, but you forced yourself not to stare in awe at the building and decorations. Your family were also shocked, but you guys were quickly ushered in as special guests for the event.

"Hello, my name is Dick and I'll lead you to your seats."

Dick was helping at this Gala along with his other brothers because they felt it was a good cause. They had just had a case where a civilian died after being taken hostage by the Riddler. It turned out he had been diabetic and his blood sugar got too low, he slipped into a coma and died. This Gala was meant to fundraise but also spread awareness.

Dick took a liking to Y/n because they had a lot of similar interests. Y/n liked how Dick was really friendly and got along well. Dick took Y/n to introduce them to his brothers and father. Y/n wasn't nervous until they saw Bruce and they had a mini internal breakdown.

Holy shoot I'm meeting a billionaire. Holy shoot I'm meeting Gotham's billionaire. Holy shoo-

"Hey Bruce, meet Y/n," Dick introduced simply.

Bruce smiled, "Hello, I'm glad you could be here tonight. I hope everything is to your liking."

You nodded and were a bit tongue tied but managed to get a few words out. You talked with the Waynes for about an hour and while they asked a few questions about you and your management of diabetes, it wasn't the focus of the conversation.

"Is that Y/n? What are they doing here? Don't tell me they're one of the sick people they invited?"

"Omg, that would explain a lot! No wonder they never got fat, they had a drug to help make it go away."

"But isn't it a disease, can't it spread?"

Damian and Jason stiffened up when they heard the not so quiet whispers of your classmates. You didn't know there would be some of them here, but it didn't really matter. Tim looked at you a bit worried, but he was also keeping a hand on Damian's shoulder to prevent him leaving.

"Do you hear stuff like that a lot at school?" Dick asked.

Y/n looked like it was normal and it didn't bother them and that upset the boys. Bruce was noting down who were their families and considering if he should give them a visit.

"Kids will say whatever they want and they aren't exactly open to learning about people different than them. I remember when I was first diagnosed and my middle school teacher was explaining it to the class. A kid blurted out "So Y/n's allergic to sugar?" And it stuck as a name from then on. I only told my teachers about my disease so it's easier for me to ask for rest times when I'm feeling bad. My classmates don't know and they don't need to."

"While I commend your mature thoughts, their comments are still inappropriate. Alfred, kindly ask them to be escorted out," Bruce said.

Y/n was shocked and tried to intervene, but Jason stopped them.

"This Gala is for charity and raising awareness for Diabetes. Their ignorance is offensive to many people here and so they aren't welcome anymore."

Damian spoke up, "Wouldn't it be good if the Wayne Scholarship Fund had a new category for those with illness and disabilities."

Tim brightened up and started to tell you about all the classes and teachers they had at school. You realized you were getting kidnapped from your school to theirs so Tim and Damian can keep an eye on you.

How did you going to a Gala end up with you being adopted by the Wayne's?

~~~~~~~
Thank you to my friend for helping me describe what it's like being diabetic and giving me the inspiration for this chapter. I recommend that before you judge someone for their illness or disability, you get to know them first and understand how they live their lives. I wanted to bring awareness for this as part of this chapter. The allergic to sugar comment is a true experience of my friend's when she was in fifth grade and no being diabetic doesn't mean you can't eat anything sugary or can't eat a lot. It's just everything in moderation and making sure you manage your health properly.