Batfam x Batsis

The night was cold and wet, loud and bright but the last two was on the main streets of Gotham. Dark and dangerous was the atmosphere of the rest of Gotham and it was for very good reasons. Batman patrolled the night looking for injustice to be stamped out by his brand of justice. He was crouched on a gargoyle looking over the section of the city he could see. Bruce's com crackled as Dick reported in to him.

"Bruce, just letting you know Damian is staying over with the Kents while Tim is with the Titans. I don't know where Jason is, but I'm heading back to Bludhaven soon."

"Got it."

Bruce planned to make one more full circle of the city, before calling it a night or early morning and heading home. But he paused at the sound of a woman screaming. Bruce raced to where he heard the scream come from and found a woman cornered by two thugs. Bruce was about to jump down and stop them, but one of them shot the woman before he even made it halfway there. It took Bruce seconds to take down the men but he was more worried about the mother. He turned to find the woman was shot right below her heart.

"Vi...she's waiting for me....my daughter-" the woman gasped before coughing blood up.

"Hang on, an ambulance will be here soon," Bruce demanded.

"Make sure...Viviane...finds a good home."

Bruce couldn't do anything as the woman died, but he would make sure her dying wish came true. So he rushed the woman's body out of the ally and straight to the ambulance where he filled the paramedics in. They were speeding off to the nearest hospital in seconds and Bruce was left with the woman's blood on his suit. It hadn't touched his skin, but he had had to wash his arms three times before he left the shower. Alfred could see something weighing Bruce down, but he didn't know what exactly. 

"There was a woman that I was too late to save. It was a simple mugging and I got there too late to stop the bullet."

"You aren't infallible Master Bruce, you are only human."

"She mentioned something about a daughter, she's named Viviane, and I searched her up. She's only three years old and she'll have to go into the system. Her mother asked for her to get a good home and I'm determined to fulfill her last wish."

"Another child Master Bruce?"

"Get the papers ready Alfred."

Bruce didn't know what to expect when he went to find Viviane the next day as Bruce Wayne, but a little girl curled up in the police station was not it. She had a mop of black curls with almond skin and was a tiny thing. She had tear stains on her cheeks and slept fitfully on the big armchair she was curled up on. Commissioner Gordon stood to the side with Bruce staring at Viviane as she slept.

"I don't know how you found out about her so quickly, but I should've known that you would show up. Tragic death, black hair and blue eyed, she fits your typical MO when it comes to adoption, except she's a girl."

"I actually had some other business to attend to, but she doesn't deserve to sleep on a chair Gordon. You know my opinion on Gotham's foster system already and with Damian settled in now, I think I can handle another child."

Gordon believed most of what Bruce said, but he knew the excuse of having business was a lie since he could see the adoption papers peeking out of his folder. However, Bruce still walked out with Viviane snuggled in his arms. 

"She hasn't stopped crying since one of the rookies made the mistake of telling her. You'll have your hands full with her," Gordon told Bruce as he left.

"I've dealt with grief before," was Bruce's answer.

Viviane stayed sleeping through out the car ride and Bruce was happy he had had the foresight to ask Alfred to set up a room for her back at the manor. He walked out of the car with Viviane in his arms, thinking how cute she was being so small. Her pale blue jumper wasn't warm enough for the weather though and he could see her getting goosebumps. Bruce sped up to the point he almost slammed the doors open as he got Viviane inside where it was warm. Alfred saw the blur that was Bruce, getting no chance to greet him properly.