Batfam in the future

It was the darkest days the Legion of Superheroes had seen since their founding. A third of their members died defeating the Fatal Five to the death. While they would never have to deal with their brand of evil again, there are so many more villains threatening the peace of the 31st century. If that wasn't enough, so many others were leaving because they suffered major injuries or lost someone close to them.

"What are we going to do Brainiac? There aren't enough members on the roster to patrol properly?" Saturn Girl asked.

"Planets will have to manage with their own planetary defenses for a bit until the Legion has sufficient members to perform properly."

"Where will we get new members from? Half the galaxy saw the battle on live-cast and don't want anything to do with fighting villains," Star Boy exclaimed.

"I'll think of other ways to supplement our forces, but we need to actively show them that it's worth it to be a part of the Legion."

The meeting between the last members of the Legion wasn't very helpful and didn't give them a lot of hope for the future. But in lab on the same planet as those Legionnaires, was an unorthodox solution to their problem. A scientist was hard at work on something that was always a hobby to them, but now seemed like a great way to contribute to society. With a few final adjustments and tests, their pet project just became one of the most skilled force in the United planets. They pushed a button and watched as their android turned on.

"Hello Bruce Wayne. I am Rex and I made you as an android copy of the 21st century's Batman otherwise known as Bruce Wayne. Right now, your memory base should be kicking in and you should know all about our history until this point. I won't force you to be Bruce, I can even give you another body, but there is a need of your skills."

Rex explained the Legion's situation and about the skills of the legendary Batman who Rex was a very informed fan on. Bruce was in his twenties since the Legion were younger people and because that provided him a good long life to actually live.

"I made some adjustments because mostly all villains are at levels 21st century heroes wouldn't be able to handle, but your brain is the key."

Bruce thought hard about what he'd been told and what he knew from his database, but only came up with one question.

"How can I trust what you're saying is true?" 

Rex smiled, he had done his work well.

"It doesn't matter if you can trust me, but the planets need you."

Bruce wasn't completely convinced, so Rex showed him footage of the epic fight the Legion of Superheroes fought and the devastation they suffered.

"I call you an android, but you're more like an artificial human with enhanced features and functions. You need to eat and sleep like any human, but not as much and you are capable of living a normal life without me with you."

Bruce looked at Rex and saw some form of a resemblance to Alfred in them.

"Why do all this?"

"So the world can live without knowing the pain of death."

Bruce nodded, "I believe you so I will perform my original programing, but on one condition."

"Name it and I'll try to do it," Rex agreed easily.

"I know you can do it."

Bruce gave Rex the details of what he wanted then saw the similar but different batsuit Rex made him.

"It's almost the same except the cape actually can turn into a handglider, it is reinforced with a stronger material than just kelvar, has a mask and system for space and jet boots."

Bruce nodded and suited up as Rex got important documents and supplies for him. Bruce went straight to the Legion of Superheroes' base after a brief goodbye with Rex and  promise from them that they would do as Bruce asked. It wasn't easy to become one of the Legion members, but with his brain and skills, Bruce had no real obstacles in joining. He made a huge impact as Batman and people weren't even mad that he took up the mantle of such a big legend. Outside of being Batman, none of the Legionnaires knew who he was under his mask. 

"He could be the Bruce Wayne of the past from an alternate dimension that acclimatized himself to our future," Cosmic Boy suggested.

"No, we would get residue traces of time travel on him," Brainiac stated.

"But if he had been here for long enough, we wouldn't find any. Besides, he's become such an integral member of the Legion so it doesn't matter where he came from," Saturn Girl argued.

"Well, I want to at least learn his name," Star Boy said.

"Or where he goes whenever he's not at the base. He'll be gone for days sometimes if he gets the chance," Cosmic Boy said.

Before their conversation could go any longer or deeper, alarms blared for a planetary wide emergency. Every member of the Legion ran out of their base to prepare for whatever was threatening them.

"We have a hive of Skriefs five leagues from our outer atmosphere!" Shadow Lass reported since she was the one who saw them first.

"How many are in this hive?" Cosmic Boy demanded.

"Too many," Projectra said.

"Is there a way we can filter them into the atmosphere in one spot to limit how many get through?" Bruce asked.

Brainiac nodded as he worked on a few screens, "On it now."

"Everyone has already taken shelter so we're the only targets they'll have, at least three of us should stay behind as a reserve for when anyone gets hurt of needs to switch out," Bruce ordered.

Chameleon Boy, Star Boy and Wildfire stayed back as the rest prepared to fight. Bruce pressed a button on his suit that he hoped would come in handy, because they were severely out numbered. A Skrief was an insectoid looking beast that was the size of an average horse with sharp pincers and legs to cut their victims a part. They lived in hives, travelled in search of food and food to them was anything living. They will wipe out all life in one area of space, then travel farther to find an abundant source of food and live there.

They fought hard, and they would have won if there was only a few thousand less of the beats, but they were severely outnumbered. Bruce was still pretty fresh because of his enhanced capabilities, but even he wouldn't be able to take them all down. Suddenly, four blurs were racing to the horde and causing major damage.

"Got your message Bats, sorry we took so long," one in all black with a blue bird symbol shouted.

"You're here now."

The four joined Bruce and the few others still standing and helped exterminate all the beasts in the city. The Legionnaires finally got a proper look at the four and noticed a theme. They were all emulating the costumes of the Batclan from the 21st century and had roughly the same ages that they all did. The oldest looking one was younger than Batman, but had a blue bird symbol on his suit with no cape. The tallest had a red helmet, an armored suit with multiple weapons attached to him and a leather jacket. Another has a cowl like Batman, but a red and yellow suit with a red panelled cape behind him. The youngest looking was only because of his height, but he was in a red, green and yellow suit and cape with black accents everywhere and a hood.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you all were the originals," Wildfire joked.

"No, we respect and look up to them, try to be like-no-better than them, but we aren't them," Bruce interjected.

"Who are you all then? You all match the skills and looks of Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin and Robin perfectly," Brainiac exclaimed.

"We're heroes when hope and peace are needed the most."