~2~

Kai's pov.

We were driving for the past hour. I had no clue where we were headed. I was shooting some z's with my sniper. The guy from earlier was counting once he shot a z. That is weird, is he like crazy?

I looked over at him and he added a few more to his count.

"Why you counting them?" I asked. He just looked over at me and kept quiet. I shrugged my shoulders and looked back to the road. Two can play this silence game.

We came to a stop after a while. I sat down with my back facing the window of the truck. apparently miss Smurfy needed a pit stop.

While he was doing his business the rest of the team was standing around the back of the truck where I was sitting and they were asking me some questions to get to know me more.

"What's your name?" A dark skin toned woman with black hair asked me.

"Kai" I answered without hesitation. I had no reason to not trust them.

"How old are you?" A red haired girl that had a guy basically glued to her side asked me.

"Seventeen" I answered again closing my eyes and resting my head against the window.

"How did you get those scars?" The hippie asked. i immediately opened my eyes. That's a memory I didn't clearly remember.

"Got a cut" I answered pulling my right knee up because my butt was getting sore from sitting like that.

It happened when I was 15. Everything I remember was that before my dad went on a business trip we got into a fight. I didn't want him to leave. So I tried to stop him. He said he would get back in a week or so. I just cried and cried. He just turned around and left to go pack his stuff but I did something that I knew would get him mad. I said that he will leave just like mom did. He immediately stopped in his place. He turned around and took whatever was by his hand. I can't remember what it was but it was something heavy with a sharp edge. He hit me with it twice.

I honestly missed him despite what he did but I'm on my own now. At least I met these people. I didn't even know their names except Murphy, who is the 'last hope for the whole human race.'

"What are all your names?" I asked looking at the dark skinned woman.

"I'm Roberta Warren" She pointed at herself, "That's Doc" She pointed at the hippie, "Charles Garnett" She pointed to the guy that had light colored hair, next was the red haired girl "Addy", then was her boyfriend I believe "Mack", after him was a girl that looked a bit older than me "That's Cassandra", last one was the boy that was staring at my eye before "And that's 10k".

They seemed nice. I started to like these people. And as weirdly as it is 10k seemed to be nice even though we haven't talked a lot.

"Alright Miss Congeniality pit stop's over, everyone back into cars." Garnett commanded and everyone obeyed. looks like him and Warren are the ones in the lead. Everyone got back into both cars and we took off to California once again.

10k's pov.

She looked at me and asked why I was counting the crawling dead. I just looked at her and didn't say anything. She shrugged her shoulders and looked away. I was awkward near her. I really liked her but I don't think she likes me back.

I just kept shooting the Z's. After a while we came to a stop. Murphy needed a pit stop. While he was doing whatever the savior did, the rest of the team wanted to know the girl better. I was near them because I was nosy but didn't want to seem like I was interested.

Her name was Kai. Perfectly fitting for her. She was almost the same age as me which was raising my hopes. Then I heard Doc ask the question I was wondering about all the time. She just said it's a cut but that was less likely a cut, based on the way the scars have healed. She was lying. She lied to Warren. I wouldn't do that if I was her.

She then asked warren what our names were. I looked over to them as warren introduced all of us.

Honestly it was nice to get to know her more but I knew something is up with her. I just didn't know what exactly it was.

Garnett then told everyone to get back into the cars and that the pit stop is over.

I will find it out what happened with her no matter what it is. I will protect her so it doesn't happen again. I promise.