~27~

This chapter may be cruel to some of yall. Pls don't hate me.

Kai's pov.

I nearly fell over as Warren pressed the brakes a little too much. I quickly grabbed the railing of the car's roof and saved myself from falling. As I steadied myself I looked to the side of the road that we had stopped by. There was a boy. He looked a lot younger than me.

Warren got out of the truck and tried speaking to him. He just kept quiet. As she gave up on trying to get any information she motioned for me to try. I sighed and jumped out of the truck.

I left all my other guns except my sniper. You never know what awaits you. As I walked up to him he looked at the ground once he saw my face. That damn scar.

"Call me Kai." I spoke softly. He looked back up at me and the corners of his lips pulled up into a small smile.

"You need anything? Water? Food?" I asked him as I put away my sniper over my shoulder. He seemed to relax and spoke up.

"A little thirsty that's all." As he said that I nodded and went back to the car. I took my water bottle and went back to the boy so he could drink.

"Here. Don't be afraid it is mine and I'm sure there isn't any poison." I said with a chuckle. He smiled and drank a small sip from the bottle. Once he was sure that there isn't anything added to the water he drank a few bigger sips before handing it back to me.

"Thanks, Ma'am." He smiled. He was a nice boy.

"No problem. Also call me just Kai." He nodded as I finished my sentence. He somehow looked like my best friend when we were his age.

"By the way. What's your name?" I asked him. He looked a bit worried about the question but he answered.

"It's Sam." He said with a little shaky voice. I smiled and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Where you headed? Maybe we could give you a ride?" I asked him.

"Uhhh...Salt Lake city. I'm going to see my dad!" He answered my question. Something was wrong. I told him to stay there for a bit and then I left to talk to Warren.

3rd person.

[Kai] "The kid's goin to Salt Lake. Something is telling me that that's not a good idea."

[Warren] "Well whatever told you that is right because the city's overrun by Z's."

[Kai] "Crap. Maybe I could see if we could ask his family for some help and supplies? Y'know for Cass."

[Warren] "It's not good to use people. But Cassandra is getting worse. So do what you can."

[Kai] "Will do. Make sure she's comfortable." Kai finished the conversation nodding towards Cassandra.

As she walked back to the boy she tried asking if his family could help the team and he just said that they can. Once Kai let Warren know what was going on she nodded and Murphy switched seats with Sam. Now Murphy was in the back with Kai, Doc and 10k.

All the way over to the camp Murphy was making dumb jokes. Kai was zoned out again and 10k was trying to get some rest.

Once they had reached the camp that Sam told the directions to, the first to get out of the car was Mack. Once his feet touched the ground there was a rain of bullets that were directed at him. None of them hit him so Kai assumed that they are meant to scare him away.

As Mack got back behind the door he jumped back in the vehicle. There was a loud grunt coming from Cassandra and Kai instantly was pulled back to reality. She jumped out of the car and ran to the back door of the car to look trough the window to see Cassandra gritting her teeth with her eyes closed.

She gave Mack a death glare and he mouthed sorry. Kai then asked if Cassandra is okay but before she finished her sentence she was cut off by another shot.

She didn't finish her sentence as pain ran trough her body. She looked down and there was blood slowly staining her jacket.

She was shot in her stomach. Looked like one of the people that guarded the gate had considered her as a guy. How did she knew? Because Warren and Addy were outside of the car and they took Sam with them.

As Kai looked back up her vision started to get blurry. The rest of the team didn't know who was injured so they assumed that the bulled just had missed.

Mack was too busy helping Cass get out of the car that he didn't even notice that Kai was now trying to stop the bleeding.

Kai touched her back to make sure if the bulled had exited but there was no blood or traces of a hole. That meant that the bullet is still inside her.

As she took off her jacket she ripped off a long piece of it. Long enough to tie around her. As she tied it she slumped against the car. The noise she made attracted 10k's attention. He was still in the back but now as he looked over all he could see is Kai sitting against the car.

He jumped out to go ask if she is okay but once he saw what had happened he stopped in shock. After a moment of gathering himself back together he ran to her and grabbed her face.

[10k] "Look at me Kai!" He yelled as Kai was starting to close her eyes.

[10k] "Don't leave me! Not yet!" He yelled again as he shook her trying to keep her eyes open.

Warren was done with bantering with the camp's leader and went to look what was going on because she had heard the yelling. As she walked over she saw the view.

10k was shaking Kai who was shot while Doc had came to help. The view was pretty hilarious but once realization hit her she rushed over.

Kai was going out of focus even more often. Doc couldn't help her because he had no supplies and the women from the camp took too long. Once they reached Kai she already lost her focus completely. 10k had stormed off crying and angry. Doc was speechless and in shock while Murphy and Warren had sadness plastered all over their face.

Addy and Cassandra were already in the camp in safety and Mack was now walking back. Once he saw Kai he immediately thought that she had died.

He asked Warren if she is gone but she shook her head and just said that he is out of focus and not responding to anyone.

He immediately relaxed but tensed up at the thought that she might not make it back.