~55~

Kai's POV.

10k collapsed right after the guy said that they have the Anthrax here. Fear ran down my whole body and I rushed to his side. I cupped his cheeks gently and he was visibly heating up. Sweat started to form small pearls on his face as I held his face.

"Warren, he's heating up." I said to Warren. She started to talk to the other guy but I didn't listen. I was more worried about 10k at the moment. After some time Warren came up to me and pulled me away from him. I trashed in her arms and protested but she just assured me that he'll be fine and the people here will help him.

After I had managed to calm down and pull myself together I went to check up on 10k. He was laying in a barn that was full of other people that were sick as well. The barn was turned into a make-shift hospital wing. Women were helping the people that were laying on bunk beds. Some had their faces covered in blisters while some were only with a fever and were constantly coughing.

As soon as I reached 10k I immediately reached for his hand. When I took it he slightly flinched and looked at me. Once he saw that it was only me he relaxed and tightened his grip on my arm.

"You'll be okay 10k." My voice cracked as I said to him. The corners of his mouth rose a bit.

"I love you Kai." He replied in a low raspy voice. I smiled as a tear ran down my cheek.

"I love you too." I said as a lady came up to us and the guy from before.

The lady took a pill and broke it in half. As she reached out to hand it to him I snatched her arm to stop her. The gesture made her slightly jump.

"What's she giving him?" A voice asked the question I was about to ask. I looked over my shoulder and it was Addy. She quickly smiled at me and then looked back to the guy.

"Cipro. From the next farm over." He explained. I instantly let go off the lady's arm and allowed her to give him the pill. As she placed the pill in his mouth I gave 10k some water to swallow the pill down with. He took a few sips and then he slumped back into the bed.

"Why was it only half a pill?" Addy asked the lady. She(I'll address the lady as 'she' and the guy as 'he'. I just don't know their names.) looked at Addy dumbfounded. The guy answered for her.

"We must have enough for everyone." His accent became a bit thicker as Addy took a step closer to him. Before I could interfere 10k broke into a coughing fit. He couched up some blood and I got terrified. I helped him clean the blood off and then Addy offered to take my spot next to 10k.

I was hesitant to leave but I left anyways. I walked out of the barn and breathed in the fresh air. My peace was broken when I could hear Serena scream. I looked around and the screams came form the barn across the small field.

I looked around and found that dad and Warren were standing next to our truck. I slowly walked up to them with my head down. I leaned against the truck and didn't say anything for a while. They both stopped talking as soon as I started to walk towards them. I guess I was interrupting something important so I kept quiet.

I zoned out and let my thoughts flood my already flooded mind. I was worried about 10k. Will he make it alive? What if he doesn't? If he doesn't what will I do?

I was pulled out of my thoughts when a hand landed on my shoulder and gently shook it. I looked up and it was dad.

"He'll be fine amore." He tried to assure 10k's safety. That was my breaking point. I broke down sobbing.

"What if he doesn't? Then what? I won't leave him here!" I yelled at dad. He stepped back stunned that I yelled at him. I hadn't yelled at dad since the last time when he gave me the scars.

He stepped closer to probably hug me but I just pushed him away and just slumped down against the back tire of the car to cry. I pulled my knees to my chest and rested my forehead against them.

I heard someone walk over to dad and Warren but I didn't even bother to look up. A voice spoke up.

"We need to talk about your boy." It was the guy from before. By him saying 'your boy' I knew that he's going to talk about 10k. I couldn't bare to listen someone speak about him a second more so I just stood up and decided to go see Doc.

After her screaming I figured that she's already giving birth so Doc must be there with her and helping however he can.

I made my way to where I could head Serena's screams and her panting. My guess proved to be right. Doc was there, standing confused and not knowing what to do. He heard me walk in and his head turned to look who had walked in.

"Damn kid. What happened that got you crying?" Doc asked as his whole body turned to face me. I felt embarrassed so I just looked down and another sob escaped my mouth. Serena and Murphy stopped muttering to each other and paid their attention to me now.

"You don't say he..." Doc spoke again. His voice was almost as a whisper. My gaze immediately was on him.

"Hell no! He's still alive, just... We're not sure if he'll make it out of here." I said as I began sobbing once again. Silence filled the barn. The only thing that could be heard was me sobbing and Serena grunting from time to time. Doc quickly managed to pull me into a hug. I struggled in his arms to push him away.

"Kid calm down. He's as tough as you. He'll make it out alive." He tried to calm me down. I just stopped trashing in his arms but I broke down completely. Doc just held me for a while. Once I stopped sobbing he let me go. A few more tears ran down my face.

As I wiped the last remains of the tears I could hear the trucks motor revving to life. I walked out only to see the truck disappear around the corner. I figured that I should go check up on 10k.

As soon as I sat down next to him he grasped my hand. He looked at me with a pleading look and I was about to cry again when I promised myself that I have to stay strong because I need to be there for him.

I took the towel that was on the bedside table and drenched it in the water that was in the bowl, full of water, on the floor. I carefully placed it on 10k's forehead and he visibly relaxed before coughing up more blood. My breath hitched but I kept on cleaning it off with the towel before drenching it in water and placing it on his forehead once again.

From time to time one of the ladies quietly came to change the water. They were all scared and hesitant to do so due to the stunt I pulled here earlier but I didn't mind them helping now. I even thanked them. A few times the same lady would come and she would feel a bit more safe to help out.

I kept helping 10k until I heard the truck return. I didn't even bother to look out of the window to check if it was Warren and dad that returned. I was in the middle of cleaning the towel as Warren stormed in with Addy supported by her. A few of the ladies were running after them.

"She got it too?" I asked. Warren just nodded as she laid Addy in the bed right across 10k's.

I'm back to posting again. I'll post as much as I can but it won't be as frequent or regular. However thank you for 3k reads. I never thought I'd get this many reads. Hope you enjoy this story so far and I'll see you on the next chapter.

-Kat:)